5 Must-Have Accessories That Will Upgrade Your Summer Look

Finally, it is shorts, tank top, and sandals weather but wait... your outfit is not quite complete without these!

16
https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-wearing-blue-and-white-striped-dress-with-brown-rattan-crossbody-bag-near-ocean-1103511/

1. Sunglasses

In the past, I was never big on sunglasses. That is until I realized they can complete basically any summer outfit from casual to dressy. You can find me wearing sunglasses while in a t-shirt and athletic shorts, or even in a cute romper and sandals. The best part about sunglasses is that they come in a variety of styles, shapes, colors, and brands. My personal favorite sunglasses are the aviator style because they can be dressed up or down. I also have a pair of round sunglasses because the 60s just never seems to end, and they add the perfect touch to my bell-bottom jeans. I have noticed that a lot of tortoise shell patterns are slowly creeping back into the consumer eye, which I am completely okay with. My next sunglasses purchase will probably be cat eye-style since those are back too.

2. Scrunchies

I could bet that my hair is up in a messy bun or ponytail in the summer more often than not. I actually forgot that scrunchies existed for a while — "a while" as in like... a decade. I remember when I had one to match basically every outfit I owned. Boy, did I make them look good! Then, I did not really care for going through the process of brushing my hair, pulling it into a tight ponytail, and finally waiting for the exact moment at the end of the day when I could take it out. Today, scrunchies are just about the only elastic I use to pull my hair up and would never go back. The best part? Since scrunchies are encased by gathered fabric, they do not cause that weird indent in your hair like a regular hair tie would! I consider that a total win for post-ponytail hair.

3. Basic jewelry

Sure, when someone says "accessories," we all think of jewelry. However, I am not talking about costume jewelry or the antique necklaces that you wear to a family dinner because the grandma who handed them down to you will be there and you want to make her happy. Pretty descriptive example (I know), but believe it or not, this is more common than you think. I have recently taken an interest in wearing more rings, and even more, basic earrings. In the past, an outfit for me was not complete without my giant pearl studs that I bought from Claire's in junior high. Now, my jewelry taste is more simple. I enjoy the basic rings that do not need a story, necklaces that have meaning without needing to explain themselves, and earrings that I do not have to take out when showering.

4. Hats

I will admit: sometimes hats may not go with all outfits because if that were true, I would have worn my Illinois State University hat with my prom dress. I would argue, however, that some hats can be dressed up or down depending on the creativity of the wearer. For example, wearing a romper could be made more casual with a baseball hat or rather dressed-up with a floppy sunhat or fedora. I will even argue that they add ease to deciding on your outfit for the day. Bad hair day? Hat.

5. Manicure/pedicure

It could be argued that manicure and pedicure are not accessories — fair enough. However, here's my argument: having well-kept fingers and toes enhances the look of the outfit, which is similar to the purpose of accessories. Freshly painted fingers make wearing rings and showing them off more enjoyable. Similarly, having newly painted toenails makes wearing your new Steve Madden Kimmie sandals that much more exciting (aside from the fact that you actually got your hands on a pair of Steve Madden Kimmie sandals). One of the benefits to this accessory is that there are a wide range of options financially that allows for anyone with any budget to pursue. If you are not a fan of salons, buy a bottle at your local Walgreens and go to town! Struggling with painting your dominant hand with your non-dominant hand? First of all, same. Second, just stop into a salon and make a girls' day out of it with a friend. A basic manicure is typically around $15 and comes with a hand massage. You can tell a lot about a girl by the color of her nail polish, after all.

Accessories can sometimes be overlooked, depending on if the wearer wants them to be noticeable. However, they can also enhance the outfit and dress it up or down — all by wearing a hat or sunglasses! It is easy to fall into the lazy-look trap throughout the summer, but we cannot forget about the accessories that make our outfits happen!