Top 5 Summer Beauty Products for Sensitive Skin

Skin care made easy.

21

Taking care of your skin in the summer can be pretty daunting. Between preventing sunburn, staying moisturized, and keeping your skin clear of breakouts, it’s so hard to keep a good balance. It’s even harder if you’re someone who has sensitive skin and can’t use the products everyone raves about. As one of those individuals, I’ve had to really figure out what products work great for me, and after a very lengthy process I’ve narrowed it down to the bare necessities. Here is five tried-and-true products so sensitive skin in the summer.

1.Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Lotion

Found at: nearly any drugstore or supermarket

I have Polymorphic Light Eruptions, which is essentially a sun allergy. I break out into massive bright-red hives that itch, burn, and retain heat from the sun. In order to combat that, I need a mineral sunscreen that contains titanium and zinc and is at least an SPF of 60. Unfortunately, I also have sensitive skin, which means I get terrible breakouts from products that are too heavy. This sunscreen meets all of my health requirements and keeps my skin clear. It’s a heavy formula that creates a barrier layer between the sun and your skin but doesn’t clog your pores.

2.LUSH Tea Tree Water

Found at: any LUSH store near you

This toner is great because it’s not full of harsh chemicals like a lot of other toners. While chemical toners can harm your skin, this all-natural one removes grime from your pores without the abrasion and dryness. This product is meant to absorb any shininess on your face and hydrate your skin at the same time. It’s cooling and soothing as well, which means that it’s perfect for calming a mild sunburn. For anyone who tends to get really oily, this is a lifesaver.

3. Maybelline New York Baby Lips Lip Balm in Quenched

Found at: nearly any drugstore and cosmetics store

This is not only a great way to keep your lips soft during the summer heat, but it also protects them from sun damage. While most people know that your face is extremely susceptible to sunlight, many forget that your lips are even more delicate. With an SPF of 20 and no flavoring, this is great as a stand-alone product, or under any lip products, you’d like to use.

4. Hawaiian Tropic After Sun Moisturizer

Found at: most supermarkets and drugstores

Even if you’ve taken every necessary precaution, it’s still possible for your skin to feel dry or burnt after a day in the sun. That dryness calls for a heavy-duty lotion that will not only give moisture but also cool and heal the burns to protect your skin in the future. In my experience, that means a terribly heavy cream that smells terrible and clogs the pores on my body; it’s a nightmare. Finding this product has been my saving grace. The formula is light enough that it doesn’t leave any sticky residue behind but heavy enough to really soothe my skin and leave it feeling fresh again. It’s packed with shea and cocoa butter to leave your body feeling soft but also has aloe vera to actually heal your burns. This isn’t something you’d want to use on your face, but it’s perfect for the rest of your body. It also smells like toasted coconut and lime, which is heavenly.

5. Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Gel Mask

Found at: cosmetics stores and online

I’ve always had a hard time finding masks that don’t make my skin irritated or make it react in a way that’s abnormal for it. This has done neither, and after using it I felt rejuvenated and moisturized, but not excessively oily. I had a friend recommend this to me, and it’s saved my face when the sun’s wreaked havoc on it, specifically on the days where it was overcast and I didn’t expect to need SPF, so I skipped it (I know, shame on me.) The mask is very light and has an instant cooling effect that draws out all of the retained heat from sun exposure. It also gives back all of the moisture my face would be lacking in due to the mild sunburn. But, because it’s a gel and not cream-based, it doesn’t get into my pores or stick around after I’ve rinsed it away. It’s also full of natural extracts and ingredients meant to heal and soothe skin. This mask is a staple in my routine.