Top 5 Comedy Movies to Watch from the 80's

"So, what would you little maniacs like to do first?"

88

Lisa from Weird Science is my icon—an 80's baddie, if you will. If you don't know who I'm talking about, don't worry, you will soon.

I love 80's movies. I enjoy bonding with my parents over them and also for the simple pleasure they bring. The movies I'm going to suggest (in no particular order) are funny and lighthearted, but also have really interesting life lessons you can take away from them.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Odyssey

This teen comedy follows Ferris Bueller's last time cutting class before he graduates high school and the adventure he embarks on around the city of Chicago with his best friend and girlfriend. While Ferris usually gets away with cutting class, principal Rooney is determined to catch the teenager red-handed. Does Ferris get away with it this time?

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is hilarious and can leave you on the edge of your seat wondering if Ferris is going to get away with each crazy thing he gets himself into. This movie is about the importance of living in the moment as well as standing up for what you want and believe in.

Sixteen Candles

Gifer

Samantha's sixteenth birthday was anything but sweet. Her family forgets about her special day because of her favored older sister's upcoming wedding taking place the next day. Sam goes to school upset and further frustrated by her belief that her crush Jake Ryan, a senior, doesn't even know that she exists. Little does she know, he knows her more than she thinks.

This romantic comedy will leave you laughing and sighing at moments that are equal parts cringe-inducing as well as adorable. Sam learns a lot about love and what she deserves, and that being yourself is the best thing you can be.

Can't Buy Me Love

Patrick Dempsey as a teenager? Count me in.

Dempsey's character Ronald Miller has saved up $1,000 to buy himself a fancy telescope he's been after, but somehow finds himself purchasing something completely different: a relationship with Cindy Mancini. Cindy is a beautiful, popular cheerleader who has accidentally ruined her mother's designer suede outfit and needs $1,000 to purchase a new one. So, Ronald and Cindy agree to pretend they are in a relationship with one another for a single month, buying Ronald popularity and Cindy's affection. Ronald finally gets (almost) everything he wanted, but will it all last? Is popularity all that its cracked up to be?

Pretty in Pink

Gifer

Name a more iconic duo than Andie and Duckie. I'll wait.

Andie and her best friend Duckie are outcasts in high school. They're bullied by wealthy and popular kids such as Steff McKee, who secretly likes Andie. Their prom is coming up and Andie doesn't have a date, but oddly enough Steff's best friend swoops in and takes an interest in her. Meanwhile, Duckie is in love with his best friend, but she's blinded by a chance to be seen as someone by the popular kids at school... until it all goes wrong.

This romantic comedy will give you a major crush on Duckie, make you laugh at how relatable it is, and it will teach you that the best things are right in front of you.

Weird Science

I saved the best for last.

Gary and Wyatt are two teenage boys who have nothing better to do during the weekend, so they decide to create their dream woman from Wyatt's computer. Lisa is the definition of confidence, sex appeal, and genius with a dash of magical powers that can conjure up all sorts of weird events. She is Gary and Wyatt's ticket to popularity, they want to be popular enough to get a chance with their real crushes, Deb and Hilly. With Lisa's help, Gary and Wyatt grow to be brave and confident men from the boys they once were.

This sci-fi comedy is fun and really crazy, but absolutely worth the insane trip we get to go on with Gary and Wyatt.