Top 5 Country Songs Of 2016

Top 5 Country Songs Of 2016

Based on Top 100 appearances, here are the Top 5 country songs of 2016

35
Top 5 Country Songs Of 2016

2016 has been an eventful year for the world. Some will argue it was a year where almost everything went wrong, others will argue that it was a pretty decent year. Despite the various opinions and arguments, I think it can be agreed upon that 2016 was a great year for country music. According to the “Taste of Country” website, the Top 5 country songs through the year varied immensely, however, some songs battled and stayed in the Top 5 longer than others. After comparing all of the charts throughout the year, here are the Top 5 country songs of overall 2016.

1. “My Church” by Maren Morris

Breaking out into the charts in March, the new country artist stayed in the Top 5 for four consecutive months, however, never reaching the number one spot. Maren was a breakout artist this year, releasing her first album and having another song making its way up in the charts currently (80’s Mercedes). She was also recently the musical guest on Saturday Night Live with host John Cena.

2. “Vice” by Miranda Lambert

Earning the number one spot starting in August, “Vice” stayed in the Top 5 for four consecutive months. However, August was the only time the song reached number one. In my personal opinion, I don’t particularly care for the song because it just sounds like Miranda whining. According to an article on Taste of Country’s website, one of the songwriters revealed that Miranda wrote it when she was in the middle of an emotional period while coping with her divorce from Blake Shelton. It is said to be a song that is bringing “brutal honesty” back into country music, but to me it sounds like a message subliminally targeted towards Shelton.

3. “H.O.L.Y.” by Florida Georgia Line

Breaking out as number one on the charts in June, “H.O.L.Y.” stayed at number one the following month in July. Seeing as country music gets switched around so quickly on charts, it’s an amazing feat that Florida Georgia Line stayed in their spot for so long. It only dropped to the second spot in August, dropping just after Lambert’s “Vice.” This was quickly adopted as a possible wedding song according to opinions of many country music fans.

4. “Head Over Boots” by Jon Pardi

A relatively new country artist, Jon Pardi appeared in the Top 5 starting in June and lasted all the way until August. Unfortunately, he never reached the number one spot, starting at number five, moving up to number three, and then back to five again. Pardi’s other popular song included “Up All Night” and has a new release that’s climbing the charts (Dirt On My Boots).

5. “Humble and Kind” by Tim McGraw

Appearing on the charts in April, Tim McGraw’s “Humble and Kind” hit the number three spot. The following month in May, it reached the desired number one spot. It dropped to number two in June with the release of “H.O.L.Y.” The song was not written by Tim McGraw, but by a songwriter from Nashville named Lori McKenna. The lyrics came to her because she was concerned for her children who are growing up in a technological world and it’s evident in society today that people are forgetting how to treat other people with kindness and compassion. The song was written for McGraw because McKenna made the connection that she’s trying to raise her kids just like Tim is trying to raise his, with compassion for human life (Taste of Country). A lyric that stands out to me in this song is: “When you get where you’re goin’ don’t forget turn back around.” Too often people go out into the world and forget about their family and where they came from and they don’t realize that without their start at home they wouldn’t be where they are right now. They take it for granted and I think it’s important that you always go back home.

Other songs such as “Setting the World On Fire” by Kenny Chesney featuring P!nk, “Blue Ain’t Your Color” by Keith Urban, and “Different For Girls” by Dierks Bentley featuring Elle King were the next few songs that stayed in the Top 5 for three consecutive months.