Top 20 Things You Should Thank Maine For

This is definitely "The way life should be."

109
J.D. DIGIOVANNI

Maine is a hidden gem. Stuck up in the right-hand corner of the nation, left alone and forgotten. But Maine has some pretty great things to offer, that's why the state motto is "The way life should be." Here's just 20 of them:

1. LL Bean

Founded in Maine, the "duck boot" (as out-of-staters call them) capital of the nation, LL Bean is a staple to the Maine economy and the millennial closet.

2. Lobster

Maine may not have dancing lobsters, but they have best lobsters in the nation (as decided on by subjectively biased Maine residents).

3. Blueberries

The most underrated berry, Blueberries are everywhere in Maine. Nothing beats eating a few (or a lot of) fresh berries off the bush.

4. Moose

The first thing you learn in Drivers Ed. in Maine is how to properly hit (not hit) a moose in the roadway... enough said.

5. "Ayuh"

The "Shalom" of the northeast.

6. Moxie

The legendary soda that can only be bought in the northeast, and is celebrated yearly at a festival in Lisbon, Maine. Moxie is more than a drink... it's a lifestyle (and an adjective).

7. Whoopie Pies

One of the state desserts, whoopie pies are an essential must-have for any BBQ or social gathering. The perfect finger food, easy to eat, and oh so aesthetically pleasing.

8. Bob Marley (The Comedian)

No, not the Reggae singer, but this Bob Marley will tell you stories about "uppta Camp."

9. Red Hot Dogs

Snappers are the best hot dog there is. End of discussion. (Only available in the northeast.)

10. Cadillac Mountain

A beauty in itself, that is only enhanced by the first place the sun touches in the continental U.S.

11. Appalachian Trail

The only way to finish this monster of a trail is to come through Maine, so hop on it, people!

12. Lobster Rolls

Yes, I already mentioned lobster, but lobster rolls are in a league of their own. The best ones are always from those sketchy little shacks on the side of the road, straight from the lobstermen (and women!).

13. Flannel

Are you really from Maine if you don't wear copious amounts of flannel? How else will you keep warm for those 8 months of winter?

14. Anna Kendrick

The woman. The myth. The legend. Town of origin: Bangor, Maine.

15. Sea Dog Brewing Co.

A regional brewery that's known for beer, fresh food, and fun times with friends. Classic. (Maybe someone should make a sitcom based on some friends hanging out here...)

16. Italian Sandwiches

Every region has their own delicacy, Maine's is the classic Italian Sandwich. A Delicious blend of flavors and textures for the Mainer on the go.

17. Stephen King

It's true the man that brought the world Carrie and Pennywise is from the small town of Durham, Maine.

18. Desert of Maine

Desert? More like Glacial silt, but hey who can blame a local for trying to turn a profit?

19. Amato's Pickles

There is no better way to top any type of sandwich than with an Amato's pickles (soaked in Angel tears and some Atlantic sea water).

20. Mardens

Need a few last minute things, like a garden hose or box of books you'll probably never read? Then Mardens is your place. (Owned by Maine State Governor Paul LePage. Can't get more Maine than that.)