My Top 16 Songs Of Summer '16

My Top 16 Songs Of Summer '16

Sorry, "Panda" isn't on my list.

9
My Top 16 Songs Of Summer '16
Soundcloud

These are my personal favorite songs for Summer 2016. Though I have included mainstream hits on this list, much of the list are hidden gems that I found over the summer, so this is NOT a Top 40 list. I'm also not including any songs off of Frank Ocean's new album(s), as they were just released. Now, on with the list!

First, an Honorable Mention goes to "Can't Stop the Feeling!" by Justin Timberlake. Even though this isn't one of my favorite songs, I love JT and this (hopefully) marks his return to music. I also have the pleasure of performing this song as a member of the Boston University Marching Band during our Fall 2016 season.

16. "Pick up the Phone" by Young Thug and Travis Scott featuring Quake

I DO NOT like Young Thug, which is why this song is so high on this list. However, I do like Travis Scott, and whenever they collaborate Young Thug becomes tolerable (i.e. "Maria I'm Drunk"). This is a pretty good track, and I recommend it to any hip-hop fans who haven’t already given it a listen.

15. “Not Today” by twenty one pilots

Honestly the main reason this song is on this list is because I feel the need to highlight a twenty one pilots song that isn’t “Stressed Out,” “Ride” or “Heathens.” “Not Today” is a really upbeat and uplifting song that deals with someone trying to overcome their own fears and insecurities. It’s a real gem, and I think that anyone could relate to it.

14. "Tropicana" by Topaz Jones

A mere 2 and a half minutes long, this short and sweet track is straight fire. The beat is catchy as hell, and Topaz Jones spits nothing but bars throughout. Jones is a small indie artist who I hope becomes more popular in time, and this song is a good testament to his talent.

13. "Dark Skin Women" By Goldlink

"And After That We Didn’t Talk," the album this song was released on, came out over a year ago and I had been listening to it since. However, I would always skip this track for some reason. It came up on a random playlist during the summer, and I wondered why I didn’t like this song initially. It’s upbeat and great to dance to, with Goldlink providing great raps behind R&B vocals and instrumentation.

12. "$OLO(w)" by Kai Straw

This song is actually a little hard to describe. It has a chill techno beat, but is still up-tempo. It’s a great song and I had it on repeat for days, so I hope that you take my word for it and give it a listen.

11. '"Don't Mind" by Kent Jones

Did you know that Kent Jones doesn’t even speak Spanish or French? Call me naive, but I was kinda hoping that he spoke the languages of the girls he was talking about in this song. “Don’t Mind” got some serious airplay during the summer, making it almost inescapable on the radio. The track catchy as hell though, and I always find myself singing “Hola, Como Estas?” every time I hear it.

10. "Dojah" by Kid Indigo

https://soundcloud.com/okaycommacool/dojah

By the title of the song, I assume that people will be quick to make snap judgments about the song’s quality and genre. However, “Dojah” is a cute and simple song. Accompanied by a ukulele, Kid Indigo’s soft sweet voice is perfect for chilling on a hot summer day and doing… well you know.

9. "One Dance" by Drake featuring Wizkid and Kyla + "Controlla" by Drake

Come on, I HAD to include them. I included them as one song, as they both equally DOMINATED the summer. They are great for any occasion, whether it’s driving in a car or dancing at a party, and the reggae influence that these songs have makes them perfect for summer. Whether you think Drake is a “culture vulture” or not, he knows how to make hit songs. These actually might have been higher on my list, if they weren’t played to death by every major radio station.

(No links here, Drake has a thing about putting his music online. Plus, you already know these songs.)

8. "Caroline" by Amine

When I first hear the beat drop in the beginning of this song, I almost lost my mind. It was so unexpected, and the song really bumps. You can’t help but move your head to the beat. I suggest playing this song on some bass-heavy speakers.

7. "Dream at Night" by William Bolton featuring Dillion Ashton

To be honest I don’t know why I like this song so much. The subject matter is generic, but it sounds very genuine and emotional coming from young indie artist William Bolton. Dillion Ashton’s verse takes up a good chunk of the song, and it perfectly complements Bolton’s own sentiments.

6. "WILD" by Troye Sivan featuring Alessia Cara

Featuring two artists who are experts in portraying teenage emotion, this song is great for relaxing and enjoying your day, whether it’s with company or by yourself. Troye Sivan and Alessia Cara’s voices are definitely a highlight, being totally deserving of their mainstream success. The music video for the song is also a great conveyor of what an ideal summer day is like.

5. "Closer" by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey

For an act that only puts out singles, The Chainsmokers are on a ROLL. They have yet another hit song on their hands, combining a catchy techno pop beat with meaningful lyrics. This song is fantastic, and Halsey as a feature makes this one of my top 5 tracks of the summer.

4. "We Don't Talk Anymore" by Charlie Puth featuring Selena Gomez

Summer isn’t always full of highs. A friend of mine introduced me to this song relatively late in the summer, and I instantly fell in love with it. It tells a story that everyone is familiar with: being with someone for so long and suddenly not having them around anymore. Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez are ideal in providing both the male and female perspective, and the music video for this song is also a perfect depiction of this situation.

3. "This Must Be My Dream" by The 1975

While I was tempted to put The 1975’s more popular “The Sound” on this list, I decided to go with “This Must Be my Dream.” While the lyrics in this song suggest a love that doesn’t exist, I have my own personal interpretation. I interpret it as a dream that has yet to come true. This song helped me through a particularly rough summer with its uplifting instrumentals, including a mesmerizing saxophone solo.

2. "Am I Wrong" by Anderson. paak featuring ScHoolboy Q

Damn, it was SUPER hard to pick an Anderson. paak song for this list. I’ve been listening to him all summer and had the pleasure of seeing him perform live, and he is the real deal. I’m choosing this song because it shows all of Anderson. paak’s strengths an artist. His smooth soulful voice perfectly accompanies the mostly live instrumentation featured in the song. This song is really fun to groove to, especially during the trumpet solo at the end of the track. I do highly recommend you listen to ‘Malibu’ and ‘Venice’, Anderson. paak’s two albums, in their entirety.

1. "No Problem" by Chance the Rapper featuring 2 Chainz and Lil' Wayne

If you read my article that reviewed Chance the Rapper’s ‘Coloring Book’, this should come as no surprise. This song is just SO FUN. It’s pure Chance where, with his high-pitched voice and goofy personality, he expresses his carefree attitude toward life as well as disdain for labels that try and control his creativity. This track has been on repeat for me since the album’s release, and it is hands down my number 1 song of Summer 2016.