10 Sad Songs To Listen To If You're Looking For A Good Cry

Top 10 Sad Songs To Listen To If You Need A Good Cry

Sometimes you just need to get lost in the music and let it all out.

83

I've had days where I've felt like no one would ever possibly be able to understand my sadness the way I want it to be understood. Thank the heavens that for times like these, there's music to prove me wrong. These are all songs that I've personally cried to so they are Anika Approved.

1. "Cherry Wine" by Hozier.

Hozier's voice in general just puts people in some kind of mood. This one is about domestic abuse but then again, sometimes it's less about the actual lyrics and more about the feeling. Music is a language in and of itself.

Personal favorite lyrics:

The way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

Open hand or closed fist would be fine

The blood is rare and sweet as cherry wine

2. "Skinny Love" by Bon Iver.

This is one of those songs you have to find your personal meaning. Although it is perhaps just about a breakup on the surface.

Personal favorite lyrics:

Come on skinny love just last the year

Pour a little salt we were never here

My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my

Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer

3. "She Lays Down" by The 1975.

The lyrics of this song may be hard to relate to for many people. But as we all know, music is a language in and of itself as in even if the lyrics don't pertain to a certain feeling, somehow, it speaks to us perfectly anyway. This is definitely one of those songs. Perhaps you can't relate to the feeling of your mother choosing cocaine over you, but perhaps you can relate to Matty's pain and anguish.

Personal favorite lyrics:

And she lays down on her bedroom floor

The chemicals that make her laugh

Don't seem to be working anymore

She tries her best, but it hurts her chest

And even though her sun is gone

She lights like a child nevertheless

4. "Two Ghosts" by Harry Styles.

This song is about growing apart. Although it's most likely about a breakup, it doesn't have to be interpreted that way. It can be about becoming distant from someone you were very close to.

Personal favorite lyrics:

We're not who we used to be

We're not who we used to be

We're just two ghosts standing in the place of you and me

Trying to remember how it feels to have a heartbeat

5. "The Scientist" by Coldplay.

This is all about regrets and mistakes. They're trying to explain everything with logic and facts, like a scientist, but that's just not how love works.

Personal favorite lyrics:

Come up to meet you

Tell you I'm sorry

You don't know how lovely you are

I had to find you

Tell you I need you

Tell you I set you apart

6. "Jealous" by Labrinth.

This song is very straightforward yet extremely depressing. It's about that one ex that singers can't seem to get over.

Personal favorite lyrics:

And I told you when you left me

There's nothing to forgive

But I always thought you'd come back, tell me all you found was

Heartbreak and misery

It's hard for me to say,

I'm jealous of the way

You're happy without me

7. "When We Were Young" by Adele.

This is for when you feel nostalgic. When you look back on your past life, past relationships, past anything and get that aching stab of nostalgia.

Personal favorite lyrics:

Let me photograph you in this light In case it is the last time that we might

Be exactly like we were before we realized

We were sad of getting old, it made us restless

8. "Talk" by Kodaline.

This song describes the feeling of not having anything more to say. When everything is out on the table but it still feels incomplete.

Personal favorite lyrics:

You were a moment in life that comes and goes

A riddle, a rhyme that no one knows

A change of the heart, a twist of faith

Couldn't fix it, it's too late

9. "Writer In The Dark" by Lorde.

This is about that one ex that most good musicians have written about. As Lorde's music generally tends to be, this takes a hauntingly beautiful tone that sends chills down your spine.

Personal favorite lyrics:

I still feel you, now and then

Slow like Pseudoephedrine

When you see me, will you say I've changed?

10. "Ivy" by Frank Ocean.

You can't have a crying playlist without modern "sad boy" icon Frank Ocean. Ivy is about reflection; looking back on past mistakes and relationships and wondering how things could have panned out differently.

Personal favorite lyrics:

It's quite alright to hate me now

When we both know that deep down

The feeling still deep down is good