10 Must-See Musicals

10 Must-See Musicals

"All the world's a stage." ~ William Shakespeare

145
10 Must-See Musicals
Unsplash

No matter if you're headed to New York or you're going to a local high school musical, there are a few that you will definitely not want to miss. Keep in mind these are only musicals that I have seen, there are so many more that I look forward to seeing someday.

So without any further ado, here are MY top ten musicals that'll leave you shouting "ENCORE!"

1. Phantom of the Opera

From his lair, hidden beneath a 19th-century opera house in Paris, a man known as the phantom of the opera, plots ways to get closer to the talented soprano Christine Daae. The phantom, wearing a mask to hide half his face, intimidates the opera house's new management into giving Christine the starring roles, but despite all his attempts to court her, Christine instead falls for an old friend, Raoul. Enraged from fear of losing her and that she did not love him, the phantom devises a plan to keep Christine for himself, and naturally, Raoul tries to foil his schemes.

Despite what you might have heard, Phantom of the Opera is more than just a musical revolving around a chandelier. Its contemporary styled music keeps the interest of the audience and the mysterious beauty of the sets is mesmerizing. The entire experience for me was chilling and thrilling, leaving me wanting to go back and see it again and again.

2. Les Miserables

After 19 years as a prisoner for stealing a piece of bread, Jean Valjean is freed by the officer in charge, Javert. Soon after, Valjean is inspired by the virtue of an old archbishop and breaking his parole, uses the money from silver donated to him by the archbishop, to become a better man. Upon hearing Valjean has broken parole Javert swears on the stars to bring Valjean back to prison. Eight years later, Valjean is entrusted with a young girl named Cosette when her mother passes away. When Valjean chooses to reveal his true identity for the sake of another, Javert relentlessly pursues him.

The first time that I saw this was in 2012 for the movie adaption, but I was lucky enough to see it live in 2017. The experience of seeing it live is one I won't forget. Despite being up in the balcony, I could still feel the emotion and got the same thrill as if I was closer to the stage. The story is exhilarating, humorous at points, and inspiring.

3. Once

A young vacuum repairman and freelance street musician, hopes for a big break that'll get him out of the vacuum repair business. One day a woman, immigrated from Czechoslovakia, who sells flowers for a living, approaches him with the news that she too is a singer-songwriter, eager to make a name for herself. The pair decide to work together, and compose an album of songs that follow the story of the love they find in each other.

This is a play that I saw as a part of a package deal of tickets and I instantly fell in love with the story and music. It is such a down to earth, realistic plot line, but still had a twist ending (making it even more realistic). This is definitely a must see when you have the chance. (There is a movie version, but I have not seen it to say if it is close to the play at all).

4. Wicked

This musical tells the untold story of an unlikely friendship between two young aspiring witches who meet as students at Shiz University, a university of sorcery. There's the young blonde and popular witch, Glinda, and a misunderstood young witch born with green skin, Elfaba. After an encounter with the Wizard of Oz, their friendship is tested and their lives lead them down two entirely different paths.

Glinda's desire to be the most popular is seduced by a great power presented to her, while Elfaba remains true to herself but faces consequences for standing up for herself and innocents. Their journey to Oz ultimately leads to their destinies as Wizard of Oz fans know them: Glinda the Good and the Wicked Witch of the West.

This is definitely a very popular musical, with a movie adaption coming in 2019(!). Seeing it on a stage is always the most amazing experience, because it's live with no movie special effects. However, I am looking forward to the movie adaption of one of my favorite musicals. I liked the movie Wizard of Oz but even if you don't, this musical is an amazing story in itself.

5. The Book of Mormon

Two young missionaries are sent to a crappy small village in Uganda to try to convert its citizens to the Mormon religion. One of the missionaries, Elder Price, is ambitious with a strong dedication to his faith, whereas his partner, Elder Cunningham, is socially awkward with all good intentions but tends to let his imagination get him into trouble when it comes to telling the truth. When they arrive in Africa, they learn that it is a society plagued by AIDS, poverty, and violence. The easy mission they were expecting may not be that simple.

I was lucky enough to see this for a discount price and it became an instant favorite. Now I am a devout Catholic and know before seeing this one, that it makes a lot of cracks at many religions. So if you're not the kind of person who can handle profound language and a few roasts to your religion (if you're religious) for all good fun, then this is not the musical for you. However, if you can handle these things, it quickly becomes a favorite.

6. Thoroughly Modern Millie

This musical takes on the roaring '20s, following the story of a fiery young flapper who goes by Millie. Millie plans to find a job and marry her boss, thus marrying into wealth. She soon finds herself fancying a poor paper-clip salesman by the name of Jimmy, she remains determined to marry the well-off company man Mr. Graydon, who in turn is in love Millie's flamboyant roommate Dorothy, a struggling actress. As the four attempt to find love, the scheming landlady, Mrs. Meers, schemes to sell the orphaned Dorothy into slavery.

I saw this at a community theater, but the experience was just as epic as at large productions. The humor and drama is entertaining and never bores. The music is catchy and each character is lovable in their own ways, aside from perhaps the humorous yet evil antagonist.

7. Kinky Boots

After his father's death, young Charlie Price inherits his family's business, a shoe factory in England. However, he has no interest in shoes and his father left the factory in financial ruins. He's forced to let go fifteen employees. However, as fate has it he meets a beautiful cross-dressing cabaret singer who inspires him to save the factory by mixing things up and selling erotic footwear in not only women's but men's sizes. This idea is not very well received by Charlie's employees.

Like Once, this musical was part of a package deal, but it stole a special place in my heart just the same. There was humor, drama, romance, and action packed scenes that kept me interested and intrigued to see what would happen next throughout the show. I left the theater and wanted to break out in song and dance.

8. Oklahoma

Set in the 1900s on Oklahoma territory, this musical follows the story of two couples in love. Curly is an ambitious, yet stubborn, cowboy who struggles to admit his feelings to a beautiful young lady by the name of Laurey. She returns these feelings toward him, but she too is stubborn, therefore she refuses to retaliate his flirts. Judd, the hired hand at Laurey's farm, also has strong feelings for Laurey and will do anything to keep them apart. The story also follows gullible Ado Annie who is torn between an old flame Will, a cowboy who still has feelings for her, and Ali Hakim, a peddler of fake products and a flirt among the ladies, but he does not return these feelings.

I saw this show performed by a high school a few years ago. It was very well done, so well done that I went to see it again. This goes to show that as long as you have passionate and talented actors, the show can be amazing. Oklahoma is an amazing classic, western styled musical with humor and romance in every scene.

9. Annie

Living in an orphanage run by the mean Miss Hannigan, a little redhead by the name of Annie dreams that her parents are still out there, coming back for her. When the wealthy Oliver Warbucks opens his home to an orphan to promote his image in the media, Annie is selected by his secretary. Annie starts to adapt to life with Mr. Warbucks in his million dollar mansion, but she still dreams about finding her parents. So Warbucks starts a search for them, offering a large reward. This draws many greedy people who pretend to be Annie's parents just to get the money.

I'm sure most people have heard of this classic musical, and have possibly seen the 1980s or 2014 movie version. Both movies are good, the 80s version following closer to the original, but seeing it live is an experience in itself. To see the pure talent in so many child actors live on the stage, is just absolutely mesmerizing. Seeing this preformed live was an awesome experience and a must see for your list.

10. Hunchback of Notre-Dame

This musical begins in fifteenth-century Paris at the infamous Notre Dame. Quasimodo, the bell-ringer longs to be a part of the world but is raised to believe his deformity makes him a monster. Observing all of Paris from his tower he revels in the Feast of Fools, wandering if it could be his opportunity to get a taste of the outside world. However, the archdeacon Dom Claude Frollo, who's raised him since childhood, treats him cruelly and forbids him to leave. Despite this, Quasimodo escapes for the day and blends into the crowd, only to be treated cruelly by everyone. A beautiful young gypsy by the name of Esmeralda stands up for him causing him to develop feelings for her. But Quasimodo is not the only one who becomes entranced by her free spirit and passion. Young Captain Phoebus and even Frollo fall for her. Esmeralda refuses Frollo, befriends Quasimodo, and falls for Phoebus, Enraged by her refusal, Frollo sets out to destroy all gypsies and it is up to Quasimodo and Phoebus to save them.

Be warned Disney fans! This is not your Disney version. Though many songs are the same and the first half of the story is quite familiar, the ending has quite a twist. I saw this amazing performance at the same high school as Oklahoma! and the performance was just as, if not more, spectacular.

Well there you have it! There are so many other musicals that I did not include on this list, so if you didn't see your favorite, don't get upset. There are still so many that I want to see as well, and I've still got a lifetime to do so! I hope you enjoyed and find a way to see as many musicals to your heart's content!