Too Smart To Believe

Too Smart To Believe

"Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines." - Bertrand Russell

70
Too Smart To Believe
foodfuntravel

There are many studies and polls that tell us that religious belief is very low among philosophers and scientists. These two fields require airtight arguments to prove the truth or existence of something. Philosophy does this through a thorough application of logic and science does this through the replication of experiments to prove tangible results. The people populating these two areas (as different as they may seem) are considered to be highly intellectual and many boast extremely high IQ’s. Apparently smart people just don’t believe in God as much as they used to. They don’t have room for faith in their line of work and it spills into their personal lives as well. On paper this makes total sense.

I’m a smart person. I think like a scientist and I have a habit of not believing in things that have no basis in fact. Pattern analysis indicates that I shouldn’t believe in a God I can’t see, but I do. I’ve believed in God my entire life and I plan on devoting my life to mission work when I graduate college. I’m all in. So how does that work? I have no empirical evidence that proves the existence of God or an afterlife. I believe in God because I see evidence of Him everywhere I go.

In biology I learned that the cell is made of multiple organelles that each do a necessary job for the cell to function properly. These cells come together to form tissues, muscles, bones and organs. Plant cells do even more by literally turning sunlight into ATP so the plant can do what it needs to survive. It takes billions of cells to make a person and all of those cells work to keep us alive. How does that not blow your mind? How many things need to go right for all of these cells to work together? There are infinite circumstances that could lead to cells never grouping up to create life beyond the protozoa, but they didn’t happen. Some people would consider that a miracle. I certainly do. God paved the way for humanity to exist and every single person is a miracle.

We live on a rock that is hurtling through space at terrifying speeds. Somehow this rock is just warm enough for us to live, but cold enough that we don’t burn up. This rock is spinning at the exact speed necessary to keep us from being tossed into space, but somehow we have just enough gravity to keep us on the ground without crushing us. This rock has water and the perfect atmosphere for human life. As far as we know, this is the only rock that can do this. What an excellent rock. How in tarnation could this be possible without the help of a God who is all-powerful? There are too many coincidences in a row for me to believe this was a mistake of the universe.

I’m a smart person and I have no doubt in the existence of God. I see Him working in every single part of my life. I see Him in the people I meet at school who are using their incredible talents to make the world a better place. I see Him in the hard times when I can still find hope when I could have given up. I see Him in my church family when they surround each other with love through the good times and the bad. God is not tangible. He reveals himself quietly through His creation and the work He does in our lives every single day. You can think I’m foolish for believing in something I can’t see, but I know I have God cheering me on every minute of every day and that’s more than enough for me.