Is It Too Early For The Christmas Spirit?

When is the right time to get into the ho-ho-ho and mistletoe?

207
Starbucks

Another year of Halloween parties, costumes, and trick-or-treating has come and gone which officially constitutes the time to celebrate Christmas! Starbucks Coffee Company officially released their Holiday cups last week, and it just seemed fitting to re-download my Christmas music playlist.

While many of my friends were flooding their Snap Chats with Christmas music in the background and the festive Christmas cups in hand, I also noticed many of my friends and family complaining it is too early to celebrate! This seems to be a debate every single year once Halloween comes to an end- when is it the "right" time to watch those heartwarming holiday films and listen to your favorite Yuletide carols?

Let's start with the holiday drinks at Starbucks. If you are anything like me, I am a coffee fanatic.

I drink a pike roast almost every morning! But there comes a time of year where I get excited to add a little bit of sugar to my morning coffee and that time of year is Christmastime! I am a sucker for the peppermint mocha, so when I saw that on November 1st the holiday cups were debuted and the peppermint drinks were available, I was ecstatic! The first step to getting into the Christmas spirit is a warm holiday drink in hand.

The sooner I can get my hands on one, the better!

Now onto the holiday music. The argument that Christmas music should stay off the radio and holiday movies should stay off TV screens until post-Thanksgiving has been a popular debate for the past couple years.

I used to agree, but then I realized something important- who says I can’t enjoy some Thanksgiving stuffing and pumpkin pie all while listening to those catchy Christmas tunes? Or by watching Elf after the Macy's Day Parade? I think that as long as you are still acknowledging and appreciating Thanksgiving, there is no harm in busting out the Christmas music or watching Frosty as soon as November 1st!

Overall, I think there is really no "right" time to begin getting into the Christmas spirit. It seems like every Christmas, the holiday rushes by. Now that I am a “grown-up,” most of the anticipation of Christmas gets swept under the mistletoe with the stresses of work, finals, schedules, and of course making sure all the Christmas gifts are bought and wrapped on time.

I tend to lose sight of what the holidays are about simply because I feel like I try to cramp all the holiday activities into a short 25 days. So this year, instead of itching to listen to the “Elf” soundtrack, I told myself to heck with waiting and have been one happy camper!

The longer you can have the spirit of Christmas spirit, I see no harm. I still love Thanksgiving and I will celebrate it to the fullest, I just also choose to begin enjoying Christmas at the same time. But for those of you who choose to stay strong until December 1st- don't worry, I promise to only burn my Sweater Weather Candle until December hits!