Too Cool for Mainstream Music

A Letter to Hipsters Who Are Too Cool For Mainstream Music

Nothing wrong with Ariana Grande nor Foster the People

9
My own picture

I don't blame you for rolling your eyes each time Ariana Grande or The Chainsmokers play on the radio for. the. tenth. time. today. I'm with you, I have No Tears Left to Cry after failing to find music that I already don't know every single word to.

Don't get me wrong, I highly respect these global pop artists. Their accomplishments and influence are incredible for such young artists. I sometimes want to listen to their music but other times I simply would rather listen to my classic rock. However, my personal music taste does not stop me appreciating the fact that their music has the power to bring together so many people.

And it should not stop you hipsters, either! I get it. Liking something before it was cool does boost your ego, but in the end harping over your hyper-sensitivity to the media just makes you look like a jerk. Congrats, you have achieved

I also want to clarify how I am not dismissing enjoying less popular artists (Foster the People, anyone?), but I am saying how I look down upon how fans of non-pop music are notorious for slamming Ed Sheeran's Sheerios or Beyonce's Beyhive.

Just remember how those fans are just as passionate as you are about that one band you and ten other people know about.

Too cool for mainstream music? Maybe mainstream music is too cool for you.