To The People Who Made And Broke My Freshman Year

You were all either a blessing or a lesson.

27
Huffington Post

Freshman year of college is a roller coaster of emotions. Everything around you changes, some things for the better, and some not so much. For many of us this is our first time being on our own, and it’s scary, you are surrounded by new people, new things, and a new life. So this is to the people who made this year everything it was.

First, thank you to my sorority sisters. In the times when I felt like everything was falling apart, I knew I could go to any of you, and you would be there for me. I am so glad I chose to be a part of this sisterhood.

Thank you to the guys who messed with my emotions, and gave me a bad rep. I know you don’t mean to be hurtful, it’s “just college” right? But thank you for showing me to be cautious of who I trust, and really think through my actions.

Thank you to the amazing teachers, who were understanding of the panic attacks, the absences, and everything that has happened. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to make sure I was okay, and caught up.

But also, thank you to the bad teachers. The ones who thought class was more important than my health, or thought I was just making up excuses. Without you, I wouldn’t know about the rate my professor websites, and I sure will look into them for the future.

Thank you to my friends in the dorm. It was nice knowing that I could go down the hall and talk to most of the people in my dorm. It made it all a little easier, and feel less like a prison cell.

On the other hand, to the girls who would keep everyone up until 5 AM on a school night, thank you for teaching me to respect others, even when I myself may not be respected. Because I know I don’t want to be the one who can be heard down the hall at 4 in the morning on a Tuesday night, when people are trying to sleep for their 8 AM class.

Thank you to my roommate, who put up with me all year. I don’t know how you didn’t kill me, but we both made it through the year. Thank you for pushing me to do better when I was in a rough spot, and didn’t know if I could do it anymore.

To the people who acted nice, and then went behind my back, thank you for showing me to really watch who my friends are, because you never know what a person’s true intentions are.

Thank you to my best friend. I don’t know where I would be without you. Whether it was you staying in the Art building until 5 AM doing our projects, or us having sleepovers every night for 2 weeks, I have made some great memories with you. We went from strangers to best friends in less than a year, and now I can’t imagine my life without you.

And as for my “friends” back home that lost touch. I miss you all, but thank you for showing me that actions truly do speak louder than words, and unfortunately many of you drifted from my life when I needed you the most. So many cancelled plans when I come home, that eventually I have to let go.

And finally, thank you to my mom. Thank you for being here for me no matter what. No matter the mistakes I have made, or the times I have called you in tears, you have been here for me, completely supportive of my decisions. Calling me twice a day every day to make sure I’m up for class, and to see that I’m okay. Thank you for being my best friend, and the best mom a girl could ask for.

So thank you! Thank you all for making my freshman year all it has been. It has definitely been the hardest year of my life, but it has had some great memories as well. For now, it’s time to say goodbye, and I will see you all next fall!