BECOMING A MINIMALIST

I have always wanted to be a minimalist because to me life is so much more than materialistic objects.

Recently, I have tried to become more minimalistic and it has proven to be much harder than I thought. I first started with my closet because that is where most of my "things" come from. For me, I have endless amounts of clothing and shoes, but "things" can be anything it looks different for everyone.

I started out by cleaning out clothes that were damaged such as stains or holes. It was not hard letting go of things that were broken. However, when I started letting go of clothing that I never wore this hit me hard. It was so hard to let go of all the things that I knew deep down I would never wear. However, I kept telling myself that I would eventually wear it.

After a few hours of purging my closet, I had three huge garbage bags full of clothing that had been gently worn or never worn at all. I knew someone who was exactly my size and I knew she would appreciate my clothes. The best part about cleaning out was being able to give back to someone else.

I still have a long journey before I become a true minimalist, but I think that I have made good progress so far. This journey has reminded me just how blessed I am for the things I do have in my life. It is still hard for me to let go of things that I do not truly need. I hope that it gets easier to let go of things in the future.

The society we live in today is constantly telling us that we are behind and that we need to catch up. As I have started this journey I have come to see that society is wrong and the things it says we need are simply just a want. I no longer desire to follow along with society. I do not think I will ever find my happiness by chasing something that will never be complete.

Sure, I still have selfish desires and wants but I will always be grateful for the small things in life. I am thankful for a safe place to live, food, and water. Every day these basic needs are taken for granted and too many times I have taken the basic needs for granted.

The most important thing that I have learned throughout this journey is to be grateful and to treat everything like a gift. I hope that the things I no longer find value in my life can give value to someone else in their life. I just think of all the clothes that still have tags on them and think about all the people in the world who do not even have clothes that fit.

This article is not to convince you about becoming a minimalist, but to open your eyes to all the things you should be thankful for that you take for granted. I think that everyone can give back in someway there is nothing too small to give. I hope that if you are reading this that you find a way to give back. It could be as simple as holding the door for someone. Whether you strive to be a minimalist or not whatever it is that you strive to do it with your whole heart.