It's Ok To Wait To Start Dating Again

To The Girl That's Unsure When To Start Dating Again

Take it at your own pace.

54
Lauren Spiezia

No matter how long it has been since your breakup, you're probably wondering if and when you'll feel prepared to get back out there and meet new people. For some people, going out and taking your mind off of your ex is one way to heal while for others, a few nights in bed binging rom-coms and snacks work wonders.

You probably learned a few things from your recent relationship and hope that the next one is better than your last. Maybe you're more confident in what you want or don't want from your partner or maybe you're more confident in standing up for yourself. When deciding what your next step in your romantic life will be, remember one important thing:

There is no magic formula that tells you how long to wait until you start dating again.

There are many factors that can influence your decision, including the length of your last relationship and why and how you broke up. Your friends and family may have many opinions on the subject, but your happiness and comfort should always be in your best interest, even if they end up disagreeing with you on the length of time you end up waiting.

Listening to them is always helpful, especially if they are just trying to look out of you, but do not let anyone dictate your romantic life. No matter what, no one knows when you'll feel ready better than you do. If you wait two days or two years before seeing someone new after a breakup, that is entirely your own decision.

Now don't get me wrong, it can be very easy to misjudge how you're feeling, go out with someone, and realize you actually aren't at that stage yet. Even if that does happen, you can learn from that experience to better gauge how you're feeling about dating in the future.

All things in life work out exactly how they are meant to, even if that means going on 500 bad dates before finding someone you click with.

When the time comes and you're getting ready for your first date since the breakup, you may be overcome with emotions; anxiety about how it'll go, fear of being judged by others, and maybe some lingering thoughts about your ex. No matter what's going on inside your head at this moment, everything will be okay.