To The Friend Who Betrayed Me

To The Friend Who Betrayed Me

You did not see me as a person, but only as an obstacle.

2078
To The Friend Who Betrayed Me
Unsplash

To the friend who betrayed me,

Our generation has been busy. Creating "lingo" for common words and phrases to replace the English language. Sentences can now be condensed into just a few words, but I think our biggest adjustment has been the loss of meaning for words in the English vocabulary. People don’t see the weight words carry anymore. One of these words is friendship.

"Do you know Rachel Smith?"

"Omg! She's my best friend!!! I love her"

Yet the sad thing is they have only met once. They are friendly, not friends, and definitely not capable of loving each other.

I steer away from saying things like this because to me friendship is so much more than meeting in passing once. Friendship is being kind to one another, caring, honest, but most of all loyal. Friendship is having years of memories together. It is doing what is in the best interest of your friend. It is honoring the golden rule, something that was repeated so many times in elementary school that when we say it, it’s like breathing, an instinct: "treat others the way you would want to be treated."

I am the friend I want people to be to me. I considered you to be my friend. Years of knowing each other, memories made together, and secrets shared. If someone asked me about you, you could tell my response that we were friends was genuine, and that I cared about you.

But when you did this, my response of knowing you went from being a privilege to a consequence.

I did not believe it at first when people told me. My friend would never do this to me. But then I saw it, with my own eyes, and the feeling that trickled up my spine that morning is one I'll never forget.

You butchered the term friendship. Your own selfish needs came first and you did not care who you hurt in your path.

Looking back I can see how premeditated this was, but also how you knew it was wrong. Yet you still did it anyway.

We had never talked more to each other than in the months leading up to this. But what I realized was this was only to get closer to me, and more information to help you.

I cried, sobbed honestly. It was one of the worst days of my life. I had never felt more deceived and hurt. Everyone said the most horrific responses I could do or say but that is not how I deal with conflict. I am an adult, and can handle situations with class and honor.

When I confronted you in a mature manner you lied to me, denying the accusation, paired with a factious excuse as to why it took you hours to reply. You were scared, at a loss for words. Why? Because there was no way to explain yourself out of this one.

I didn't reply to your text back. What was the point, I was talking to a child. Part of growing up is taking responsibility for your actions. You failed on all parts.

Your character shined with posts on social media broadcasting what you did. You not only deceived me, but also had no regard for my feelings after the fact. Thank you for repeatedly reminding me with every picture, post, and tag on Facebook. How kind of you.

But do you want to know the funny thing? I feel badly for you. You will never be a true friend to someone, nor have one because you will betray him or her, too. You'll never feel that feeling of caring for the ones you love the most, because you’re too preoccupied in only caring for yourself. The fact that you felt no guilt shows your true character. You were upset at the friend who told me what you did, not troubled by your actions.

What does that say about you?

You lack morals and values, two very important things to have as you grow into an adult. I would call you one, deeming we are above the age of eighteen, but you don't emulate or deserve that title.

You're selfish. You will be the employee at your job that is only interested in bringing yourself up, not the group as a whole. There is no I in team, and you are in no way the exception, sweetie.

But what I feel most badly for you is your lack of value of human life. I was a blip on your radar. You did not see me as a person, but only as an obstacle. People bring so much to this world, its unfortunate you don't see that.

I never will be responsible for someone else's sadness, responsible for the tears streaming down someone's face.

It’s sad you can’t say the same.