for people who hate new years resolutions

To The Debbie Downers Who Hate The Idea Of A New Year's Resolution

Here is some friendly and motivational advice for the person that needs it the most.

27
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrIoHg7glCb/

With the new year of 2019 rapidly approaching, everyone is starting to say the same thing that they all do every year this time of year. What's your big and crazy New Year's resolution this year? "I am definitely going to the gym this time" or the usual "I am never talking to my crazy ex ever again." The list continues to go so on and so on. And every year, no matter which person you are in this particular narrative, your "new years resolution" only lasts about as long as it took you to come up with it in the first place.

So if you are like me and you completely hate the idea of New Year's resolutions, here is some friendly and motivational advice for the person that needs it the most.

You do not need to wait for a new year to lose some weight, break off a toxic relationship, buy that sweater you really want.

The point of having a New Year's resolution to have a good year, not a good month. You should not have to wait for a certain time of the year to attempt to be the best you that you can be. Do little things every day that are easier than say, going cold turkey completely. Make it your goal to do something that makes you happy every day, no matter what time of day or how outrageous the activity is.

To the person who is struggling to get by after a hard year and is looking for a sign. You are not alone, and you are not a failure. Seasonal depression is a growing problem in today's society so make sure to check on your loved ones this time of year. Remember, a new year does not have to be the time you start being the "new you" or best you. You are not this feeling all the time, so embrace the little things that take it away and strive to continue to do so three hundred and sixty-five days of the year.

To the anxious and giddy person waiting for that "New Year's kiss" to turn into something more. No matter your gender, size, orientation, race, age, etc, a "new you" should not become the new desperate you. I guarantee you that the moment you stop actively seeking out for that perfect moment and happily ever after, you will feel a lot more stress-free and a lot happier. You might even get lucky and have your moment come spontaneous, just like in all the fairy tales. The best you will always be the you who is strong, independent, and driven.

So just remember these things when you are standing by the ticking countdown to bring in the new year. Whether you thrive from your New Year's resolutions or ditch the gym and head to Starbucks, embrace the you that you have always wanted to be every New Year's Eve, but this time, do it all three hundred and sixty-five days a year.