To People Who Are Rude To Their Waiters

To People Who Are Rude To Their Waiters

I know life must be so hard without the extra ketchup that you asked for.

741
To People Who Are Rude To Their Waiters
iStock

So you're out at a restaurant, and you kindly order a diet Pepsi. You're chatting away with your business friends, and you're pleased to see your drink arrive. You tighten your tie and take a sip, shocked to find that it is a regular Pepsi instead of the diet that you so kindly ordered. In disbelief, you yell across the restaurant for your waiter--whose name you forgot because they are just a waiter--and even though they are helping someone else, you make it known that it is urgent. They rush over to assist you, and you sternly order them to bring you a new drink, while threatening the tip that they live off of. The restaurant erupts in a cheer, applauding your malicious behavior toward a human being that simply gave you the wrong carbonated liquid. We all thank you for your heroic actions.

But seriously, stop being an ass.

I know this may be disappointing, but your server is not actually a robot. Recent studies have shown that about 100% of servers are human, just like you. Crazy, right? I couldn't believe it either. That means that your server is prone to forgetting things, especially at rush hours, and that they have feelings! So that one time when your server didn't bring your check as quickly as you'd like so you yelled at them until they cried, those were human tears, not fake robot tears. Like the same tears that you and me cry. I know, it's unbelievable.

Did you know that it is very likely that you're not the only table that your waiter is serving? That they can also have six other tables, with some being more high maintenance than others, which require more time and attention. It is your server's job to make dining a pleasant experience for you, but their entire world is not centered solely on you. If they forgot to bring the extra straw that you asked for and you end up having to remind them again, it wasn't intentional or an act of rebellion against you; they forgot, which is a common side effect of having a human brain.

Your waiter lives off of their tips, maybe you didn't know that and that's why you decided to not tip them anything because you were angry about your food taking too long, which is out of your waiter's control by the way. And yes, before you argue, they do receive an hourly pay, but it's nothing close to livable. Their tips pay their bills, buy them food, and provide other essential things to live. So when you leave them nothing, you're making it harder for them than you know.

I understand that eating out is something to look forward to. I love going out and trying new foods, and it's even better when you're doing it with good company. It's nice not having get your drink, make the food, or having to do the dishes, but you have to remember that there are real life human beings doing those things for you and a plethora of other people at the same time. The food service industry is one of the most demanding industries in the United States, and in my opinion one of the most underappreciated.

So the next time that your waiter has to interrupt your conversation to take your order or forgets the ketchup that you asked for, try being kind and simply reminding them before you turn into the Hulk. You don't need to take life that seriously; it's just ketchup, or them not hearing you correctly, or whatever else you get ridiculously upset over. It's really not that big of a deal, and it's certainly not a reason to be rude to someone.

Just keep calm and be kind to your waiters.