To My Unexpected Best Friend

To My Unexpected Best Friend

Without that stranger in the corner bedroom, I would not have the best unexpected best friend.

23
To My Unexpected Best Friend
Cassandra Romkey

They say that the best things in life are those that you don’t expect and those that you were never looking for. When we moved in together our junior year, I knew that we would live well together; we were both pretty tidy, we both had social lives, and you seemed to be really nice.

For a while, we just lived together, we inhibited the same apartment, said hello and goodbye, passed each other making meals and would watch TV together, but as time went on things changed. We started going out together, we would enjoy Wine Wednesdays on the roof, people watch out the window and fill each other in on our days regardless of how they seemed to go. I’m not sure when things changed, but I am so glad they did.

We went from strangers to each other’s biggest supporters. You cheered me up on some of my worst days, without even knowing how down I was. You never let me settle and picked me up when I was down. I watched you go from a quiet friend to someone with amazing humor and a bright personality. You never fail to appreciate our friendship, I know that you never take it for granted and with that you make me feel special and good enough for anyone that is going to step into my life. You have shown me that those that are worth it will show you your worth too.

You have shown me one face, and with that, I have come to realize that not everyone out there will be two-faced and will turn their back on you. You have shown me that trust can be given away, but only to those that put their trust in you as well. You show me daily the importance of being yourself regardless of what others think, from dancing like no one is watching (even if over 50 people are), to dropping those in your life that are unable to support your true self.

You support my decisions whether they are good or bad and you make no judgment in them, and with that, I know that I will never be alone. You know when to give me my space and when to not leave me alone no matter what I am saying. You have been part of so many of my most memorable nights of college and I am so glad that when I look back at this experience you have been part of it.

Many say not to live with your best friend because it just causes issues and drama, but for some reason, I got extremely lucky and my roommate became my best friend. Even better than that, though, is that I don’t see that changing.

I am so lucky to have someone in my life that loves me unconditionally, even when they don’t need to, someone to eat sushi with me even when they want a burger, someone in my life that will go out and dance with me over a guy any day, someone that will wake me up in the morning and remind me that there are so many amazing things in this world, and if I am having trouble really believing that someone that, will just lay in bed with me.

So thanks for sharing my love of dogs, people watching and not going to the gym. I am not sure where I would be without the random stranger that moved into the corner room, because if it weren’t for that stranger I wouldn’t have the best unexpected best friend.