Dear Thyroid

A Letter To My Thyroid

Even though I slightly hate you, thanks for the lessons and the learning you've caused

267
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLOlt7ND1-E/

Dear Thyroid, we have a complicated relationship, to say the least. Many in fact, do not even know what you or what you do, but I have had that knowledge since the age of six when you decided to make my life all the more hectic. Thankfully I can say through lots of readings, doctors, and family, I am much more suited to keep you from full force.

For those that don't know the thyroid is a gland in the neck that produces hormones and regulates others, such as Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Triiodothyronine (T3), and Thyroxine (T4). Sounds simple and unimportant, right? Wrong, while little, this leader of the endocrine system affects a vast amount of your body and can really mess up hormones in the body, which then transfers by messing other body functions up.

When I was around the age of six, you just stopped working and stopped putting out those important hormones that are vitally needed, especially for a growing child. I experienced headaches, my stomach ALWAYS hurt, I had a way to many especially painful "growing pains", was overweight, and had trouble sleeping, but always tired. After a year of multiple tests, while feeling like the biggest pain to my parents and feeling constantly sick, doctors realized I had Hypothyroidism. Let me just point out, at this point, I was a pro with needles and bloodwork.

But the fun didn't stop there. Yes, I got put on medication to help produce my hormone I needed to grow and develop correctly, but as a growing child that amount needed to be changed often and sometimes the change wasn't caught until I started having bad symptoms again. Even when I was still on the right dose, I still had certain symptoms that just never went away. Being constantly tired as a kid made me feel so down about myself, especially when others would comment on how I could never do anything, due to being too "tired". I also always had to watch my weight, since you made my metabolism so slow, resulting in me always being labeled "big" or "overweight" and I still struggle with that problem to this day. Although the medications did make me feel better, I still was not good, but many doctors ignored my complaints since on the outside and blood work wise, I looked okay.

It took another multiple years and doctors to see that my condition had turned into an autoimmune disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. That was a whole different curveball that impacted my life, even more, considering my antibodies were attacking my thyroid gland. I thank my mom mostly for being my biggest advocate and getting to the bottom of my disease and pretty much becoming an expert on the topic. It's thanks to her and my doctors who actually believed there was something wrong that I am thankfully at my best I've been. Without such a drive from them, I would probably still feel a lot worse. It hasn't been an easy road by far and I still have many symptoms, but it's better and managed, which is more than many can say.

I say this all so others can understand what their thyroid does and understand their bodies better, especially if they feel they have similar symptoms or have ever felt in a similar boat. No, you aren't life-threatening, but you are life altering and patients need to be their biggest advocates sometimes to actually stay strong against you. Especially in a world where many doctors look at so-called "normal" labs and say "you're fine", "you're tests are normal", "you're just a sensitive kid" and "there is nothing wrong with you". Thyroid diseases are real and they can impact much more than people think. Young and old many have to deal with problems regarding you and everyone should know and be aware of how to best live their lives and not let you run it for them. Even though I would prefer you healthy I thank the growing that the struggles have caused. Through you I have been educated and become more aware of my body, I have become more disciplined and determined, and I have learned to enjoy the little things a bit more. So even though I slightly hate you, thanks for the lessons and the learning you've caused.