To My Dog, I Miss You So Much Now That I'm At College

Leaving my dog was hard enough, but I realized she had no idea why I was leaving.

25

Leaving you at home while I went off to college was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. You were everything to me. (Don't worry, you still are). I picked you out right before my senior year of high school. I'll never regret it, but I wish I had known how hard it would be to go our separate ways after a year together.

We spent all summer together, cuddling, going for walks, and playing with new toys. I tried to spend as much time with you as I could, but nothing prepared me for what was about to happen at the end of August. I could tell you were starting to get anxious because I was packing up all of my stuff and moving it out of the house.

I'll never know how, but you always knew I was about to leave for a little while when the suitcases came out. But this time it wasn't just for a little while. It broke my heart when you had climbed in one of the suitcases that hadn't been zipped up yet. As you paced back and fourth around all of my belongings, I contemplated every single way that I could possibly sneak you into my dorm room.

When it finally came to the day when I had to leave for college, you gave me those sad puppy eyes, whined every now and then because you knew I was headed out somewhere and watched me every time I came in the house to grab the last of my things. I almost cried when I had to shut the door on you. I wanted to let you know that I would be back as soon as I could and that I would miss you every minute of every day until I could see you again.

Throughout my freshman year, I tried to come back every other weekend to see you. It was great, you were always so excited to see me. My heart was so full every time I would walk into the house and see you run up to me. You truly are the cutest dog, and there was no better feeling than seeing your tail wag with excitement and getting plenty of your kisses.

Sophomore year I'll admit I ended up being way busier than I expected. But I want you to know that although I can't come home as often to see you, I want to. Yeah we might have grown apart a little bit, and it hurts a little to see that mom is your favorite now, but you'll forever hold a special place in my heart. Hopefully, I'll be able to take you back after college.

But until then, I just want you to know that I miss you every single day. The hardest part of this all is that you'll never truly understand what happened. Because unfortunately, for now, there isn't a way for us to communicate with our pets the way that I'd like to. But I hope everyone at home is spoiling you with lots of treats, and I can't wait to see you soon.