To My Future Students in a Trump World

To My Future Students in a Trump World

A letter to my future students in a world that can make them feel unwanted. I'm here for you.

13
To My Future Students in a Trump World
Noor Zehan Mohd Ali

Above all else, never doubt how much I care about each and every one of you. If you don't feel like you have a safe space in your life, I am letting you know that it is with me in our classroom. The world can be frightening sometimes and there are people who will try their hardest to dull your shine, but please don't let them. You are a unique, wonderful piece of stardust and as long as you choose to have love in your heart, you will be okay. If you are afraid to outwardly show your true self, I will only be a hug away. If you feel like you are going to burst from keeping your feelings and thoughts inside, I will lend an ear. If you are afraid to even come to school for fear of being hurt, I will protect you. I will be your advocate. Intolerance has no place in my classroom and I will actively teach lessons of kindness and strength in the face of adversity until you are able to recognize your own worth. Hate isn't going to go away overnight, but be hopeful. The people who preach hate are in the minority and always will be. There will always be others around to pick you up if you've fallen.

Believe that if all else fails, I will be here for you. When I became a teacher, I vowed to protect every single student who steps foot through my doors and that is exactly what I intend to do. Do not despair. Hate breeds more hate, but you can fight back with love. Compassion will not only be taught in my classroom, it will be practiced by everyone, myself included. Diversity is the best part of living on this planet and living in the United States of America specifically. We would not be who we are without diversity. You are worth it and I will not let you forget it. This is my promise to you in a sometimes scary world. I love you all and love trumps hate every. single. time. <3