To My Friend Still In High School

To My Friend Still In High School

High school is easy to leave; the people are not.

14
To My Friend Still In High School
pixabay

First off I just want to say that I miss you. Not only do I miss you, but I miss your parents, your siblings, and your house. To me, your house wasn’t just another place, it was my second home. It was a place where we would go to watch countless hours of our favorite movies, eat tons of food, and have the best heart to hearts. Since we are on the topic of family, my family misses you as well. Not only did they lose me to college, they lost you as a second child.

I see the pictures of you and your other friends at football games, bonfires, and girl time; my heart can’t help but ache. I would do anything to be back and by your side. I miss the nights we would meet at the local coffee shop to “study” but we would end up talking for hours on end about everything and anything that came to our mind. Leaving you behind was one of the worst things about leaving high school. Everyone is ready to leave high school and get out into the real world but no one is ever ready to leave their friends behind.

You were the person who knew exactly what to say when I was worried about a test, my favorite song to play in the car on our always entertaining car rides, and you knew all my stories front to back because you lived them with me. Guaranteed my college friends now know all of this but it is different because you aren’t here.

When I think about our friendship, it stands out against the rest. Even though we don’t see each other as often as we have in the past, our bond is still as strong as ever. You are still the person I tell my embarrassing stories to right away and when I have drama, you are always the first to know. They say distance makes the heart grow fonder and this is true. Some friendships end when college arises but for us, college has been the reason we are still in each other’s life. We countdown the days until we can finally see each other again. Christmas break is an excuse to pack four months of separation and not hanging out into two weeks. These memories are the ones that will get us through the next couple of months until summer when we are finally reunited again.

I wish I was able to be there to share in your “lasts” with you as you did for me. I would do anything for one more Friday night football game, one more school dance, even one more late night food run to our favorite restaurant. Although I can’t be there physically, know that you are always in my heart and I can’t wait to see you when I am home.