To Be, Or Not To Be: How To Break In

To Be, Or Not To Be: How To Break In

Breaking into the entertainment industry is tough, but here are some ways.

36
To Be, Or Not To Be: How To Break In

Into the entertainment business, that's for sure. Someone once told me that ninety-nine percent of the time, a person will not make it, but that one percent will. Even those that are more successful than others will fall if they don't keep up their work.

If you would like to be the one percent that makes into the entertainment business, then here is some advice I've grown up hearing, researching, and following. Remember, anyone can be in the spotlight, but it takes a special kind of person to want to keep working.

1. Be original.

Either you're the theater kid or the band kid, there is always someone out there who is wanting to copy another individual. The number one rule to success, regardless of where you go, is to be original. No one likes a copy cat version of another well-known act. Don't use the Jenner's as an example, but the some of the Kardashian's are copies of another celebrity.

2. Be confident.

If you have insecurity issues, fall in love too easy, very shy, or can't take criticism well, then the entertainment world is not meant for you. Only the best of the best are willing to work hard to make it through. Having a strong support system, reviewing critiques, creating connections, and getting out of your shell a little helps let the world know that you are ready and aren't letting anyone stand in your way.

3. Be on time.

No one likes tardiness - well, the first time is fine, if you know the group well enough - first impressions mean a lot to those that know their way around the business, and if you're late, they will never bother with you again.

4. Be aware of what you are doing.

If you are the theater kid, be sure you know a few things about acting, if that is what you are going into. Industry professionals like it when new clients know a thing or two, or five, about the business they are entering. Same thing if you are the band kid. Knowing about Beethoven is cool, but if you don't broaden your horizons, not many are going to take you seriously.

5. Be ready to challenge.

When it comes to any type of audition or interview for a position, many future bosses will challenge you on how well you complete a task down to how fast you can bring them their morning coffee.

6. Don't be afraid to smile.

Smiling is key to helping you succeed. Whether you are having a bad day, be sure to smile when you walk into someone's office one day for an interview at your future job.

7. Don't choose entertainment.

Don't choose entertainment because the word entertain is fun to see. Entertainment takes time and patience to perfect so the entertainer can leave the audience speechless. Don't choose entertainment because you think it's an easy career choice. In reality, it is a painful and stressful environment. The reason I say this is you won't know most of the time when your next job will be.

8. Don't bring drama.

The worst thing you can do to ruin your chances of succeeding in entertainment is not to bring up drama. If I've learned anything from watching news anchors talking about topics in entertainment, it is to never talk bad about the event you're discussing, but to give your opinion in a professional style.

9. Don't be shy.

It's okay to be shy, but never be too shy. You get my point.

10. Don't forget to do your homework.

If I have learned anything from the research I've done on the entertainment industry, it is to always do your homework. Having some background knowledge on the field you are interested in pursuing is key.

To be, or not to be. These are just a few ways on how to break into the entertainment industry. Just like Abby Lee Miller has said, everyone is replaceable. Don't be the one that gets replaced.