The ultimate Italian dessert, in my opinion, is the Tiramisu. It is a classic with simple ingredients, and sure to be a hit at every gathering, especially for coffee lovers.
"Tiramisu" literally means "pick me up," and I can only guess that when you spoon into a soft, creamy, and coffee soaked sponge of a piece.... you will be picked up by all of its coffee and sugary goodness.
This recipe is very simple and is the way my mamma has always made it, and everyone always loves it whenever it makes an appearance. Buon Appetito!
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
3/4 cup granulated sugar
16 oz mascarpone
1 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp. rum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
lady fingers (around 35)
dark chocolate (for shaving on top)
2-3 cups brewed espresso
let's make it
1. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with sugar. I also choose to place the bowl in a pot of hot water, so it takes away the bacteria in the raw eggs.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
3. Combine both the egg whites and egg yolks with sugar together.
4. Add the mascarpone cheese to the egg mixture, and beat until smooth. Add the heavy cream, rum, and vanilla extract.
5. Make the espresso coffee, and then place it in a low, flat pan.
6. Dip the lady finger cookies in the espresso and begin to place them side my side in a baking dish. Once one layer of cookies are filled, pour the mascarpone cream over it. Continue until you have around 3 layers of cookies and cream in between.
7. Shave dark chocolate on the last layer. Freeze for about 2 hours before serving.