Tips To Survive Music Festivals

Tips To Survive Music Festivals

Jazz Fest, Hang Out Fest, Warped Tour, Sun Fest; music festivals are exhausting. Here are some tips to help you have the time of your life.

11
Tips To Survive Music Festivals
The Advocate

The 47th annual Jazz Fest kicked off last weekend with headliners like Nick Jonas and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. While music festivals are loads of fun, be warned: they can be pretty exhausting. To get you through the weekend(s) to come, I've compiled a basic list of survival tips.

1. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen

Perhaps the most obvious tip, but also the most important. No one wants to leave a day of fun with a sunburn from hell. Remember that no matter how sunny it is or isn't, sunscreen is a must. Applying sunscreen once in the morning won't do. Reapply while waiting in line for food or while waiting for the next band. Bringing a bandana/hat, along with sunglasses is also a good idea.

2. Plan a Schedule

I know that in your excitement it's easy to forget all about a schedule, but don't. Walking into a music festival without a schedule will do nothing but overwhelm you. Look at the lineup online and determine who you really want to see. After doing this, account for the time it will take to get food as well as rest. Also remember that many music festivals have stands and other areas of interest aside from the music itself. If those interest you, figure them into the plan. And if you're wanting to see one of the big headliners at the festival, keep in mind how many people will be there. When I went to Jazzfest in 2014 to see Vampire Weekend, my mom and I waited in the same spot all day just so I could have a front row spot at their show. In 2015, the number of people waiting to see Ed Sheeran was close to 20,000. Plan your schedule around this in order to ensure you're right where you want to be.

3. Toiletries

At music festivals, you're going to be doing your business in a port-a-potty. Lines are long and nine times out of ten, these gems aren't too clean. Pack extra toilet paper and wet wipes in your book sack, I promise you won't regret this. While most festivals will have little kiosks with hand sanitizer outside of the port-a-potty's, these are usually empty. Save yourself the trouble and bring your own bottle of hand sanitizer, I promise you'll be glad you did.

4. Food/Water

At festivals, food and drinks are sold at inflated prices. Although you will absolutely need to buy food at the festival to keep your hunger at bay, you can still pack small snacks in your book sack (think granola bars and trail mix). DRINK AS MUCH WATER AS YOU CAN! Seriously, with temperatures ranging from 80-100 degrees, you pose the risk of dehydration. While you can bring a refillable water bottle, I recommend freezing a few water bottles the night before and stuffing them in your book sack right before you leave, you'll have ice cold water all day.

5. Take extreme caution with alcohol

You're at a festival about to see your favorite band, you want to grab a beer or a frozen daiquiri because you think it'll keep dehydration at bay; FALSE! Drinking alcohol actually increases your chance of dehydration. If you want to drink, drink in moderation, and try to drink one glass of water for every glass of alcohol.

6. Plan for no LTE service

There a generally thousands of people at music festivals, which makes cell phone service unbelievably slow. You'll try texting your friends (or in my case, my mom who I always drag with me) only to wait thirty minutes for your message to send. Plan for this, only use your phone when absolutely necessary. Do not try to upload videos or pictures to Instagram or snap the show, these wont be shared until later.

7. Wear real shoes

Flip flops are comfortable, I get it; but will they be comfortable after a day of walking, twenty people stepping on your feet, and the litter all over the festival grounds? Didn't think so. You need real shoes, shoes that are comfortable and that you don't mind getting dirty. Opt for an old pair of converse or vans. Pro tip: purchase a pair of Dr. Scholl's for the weekend, your feet will thank you.

8. Don't let the rain rain on your parade

Hopefully there is no rain in the forecast but, in Louisiana especially, the weather is totally unpredictable. Purchase a small poncho and keep it in your book sack. Getting wet will not kill you, but being wet the rest of the day will absolutely suck.

9. Bring blankets

The festival ground will be littered with who knows what, so my mother and I always pack a blanket we don't mind ruining. Stuff it in your book sack and pull it out when you need to take a breather. This comes in handy when you want to sit while you're waiting for the next set.

10. Bring cash; and for the love of God, pay for parking

I know, I know; spending 20 dollars on parking seems like the work of the devil, but complimentary shuttle service to and from the park right to your car? The work of God. If you don't pay for parking you'll end up wasting time searching for a parking spot and then wear yourself out before you even get to the festival. Pay for parking, it's worth it. Also, be sure to carry extra cash. You never know which vendors will and will not take cash. All festivals have ATM's, but do you really want to pay a service charge?

11. Make a meetup plan

It's inevitable, you're going to lose your friends. Before you arrive at the festival set a time and a place to meet up. For example, "Hi guys, the last set is for 5 so let's meet at the shuttle drop-off for 5:15." Also keep in mind that if you do stay until the last set, you're going to spend another hour waiting to load the shuttle, I promise.

All in all, remember to have fun. Music festivals are one of the nine wonders of the world. Stay safe, hydrated, and comfy.