5 Tips For Making Your Instant Coffee Actually Drinkable

Starbucks taste without a Starbucks budget.

293

We all know that instant coffee has a long-standing reputation for tasting, well, awful. Even the better brands can never hold up to the flavor of a traditional brew. But instant coffee also has the benefit of being cheap, fast and non-perishable, which are all essential qualities to the hectic life of the poor college undergrad. So are there any ways to make the instant version any more bearable? Just follow the tips below!

1. Make it hot, hot, hot.

The most important step to ensuring that sure your instant coffee tastes as much like the regular variety as possible is to make sure the water you're using is heated to the boiling point. If it’s too cool, the coffee won’t completely dissolve and you’ll be left with those gross granules floating in your mug.

2. Double up your cup.

Insider tip: even though your jar of coffee grounds might say to do only one spoonful per cup of water, doubling the serving will actually make the flavor much richer and the overall consistency much less watery.

3. Shake in the spice.

Trick yourself into thinking that you splurged on a Pumpkin Spice or Gingerbread Latte by stirring in a liberal amount of cinnamon, nutmeg or ginger. Just like instant coffee, jars of spices are super cheap and will never go bad. Even just a dash will go a long way!

4. Make an instant mocha.

One powdered drink mix that has a much better rep than coffee is hot chocolate. Swiss Miss especially makes some tasty flavors (some with mini marshmallows!). Mix in half a packet of hot coco powder with a spoonful of coffee to create the world’s quickest and easiest mocha.

5. Use natural sweeteners.

If all else fails but you’re still desperate for the quick caffeine fix, do your best to mask the extra bitterness and after taste by pouring in something sweet. Obviously, many people already take sugar in their coffee, but I suggest experimenting with more natural options like honey or maple syrup.

So the next time you don’t have time/funds to make your morning Starbucks run, don’t despair. With a little creativity, you can have the best of both worlds.