5 Tips For Packing Efficiently

5 Tips For Packing Efficiently

Because everyone has to go home for the holidays.

28
5 Tips For Packing Efficiently
Max Pixel

Since we are now half-way through December, we are well into the holiday season. This time of year brings about lots of traveling, since everyone is going home to spend time with their families.

Many people I know struggle with packing for travel. Whether it be packing too much, under-packing or forgetting an important item such as medication.

Here are three of the most useful tips I have learned throughout the years that makes sure I pack everything I need.

1. Make a list.

I know you are thinking it sounds a little too much. But, you don't have to have a super detailed list of every single thing you are planning to bring. You should just make a rough, general list of necessary items.

For example you could write down "5 shirts, 5 pants, 2 sweatshirts, medication". This way you can check off each set of items once you pack it. Therefore eliminating the possibility of you forgetting to pack a necessary item.

2. Buy the travel-sized toiletry products.

It can be a pain to make that extra trip to your local pharmacy when you are running around the day before you plan to leave.

But, I promise you buying the travel-sized shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, and deodorant will help you out and relieve some stress when you are trying to fit everything into your suitcase. Average-sized toiletry products take up way too much space and are unnecessary for short family trips during the holidays.

3. Roll every item of clothing.

Many people I know roll their T-shirts instead of folding them to save space. I thought that was a good idea and decided to roll all my items of clothing, besides dresses.

This is the best way to pack since you can fit so many more clothes into one suitcase. This packing technique will prevent you from trudging through the airport with 2 suitcases.

4. Don't procrastinate.

I know this is difficult since the holiday season is a very busy time. But if you wait to pack until the night before you leave, you will be scrambling to get everything together.

I recommend packing two days before you plan to travel. This way you have a whole day to realize if you're missing anything. You also will have time to do some last-minute laundry.

5. Wear your bulkiest shoes on travel day.

Packing several shoes can be quite the challenge, especially during the holiday season, since cold weather calls for large and warm boots.

I believe you should pack two pairs of shoes for a brief week long trip and you should wear your bulkiest shoes when you fly or drive to your destination.