10 Helpful Tips For College Students Taking Online Courses This Semester

Here are several ways to easily pass an online course.

244612

With spring semester starting, many college students are looking to take courses for the semester. With the pandemic still ongoing, many students are likely looking for the option to take online courses.

Online courses at one time may have seemed like a last minute option for many students, but with the pandemic, they have become more necessary. Online courses can be very different from taking an on-campus course. You may be wondering what the best way to successfully complete an online course is. So, here are 10 helpful tips for any student who is planning on taking online courses this semester!

1.  Keep track of assignments that are posted online

Kaitlyn Baker / Unsplash

Anyone who has taken an online course will tell you that you should always keep track of all of your assignments. It can be very easy to lose track of when an assignment is due. If you're not checking to see if an assignment is posted ahead of time, then you will likely find yourself surprised when you find an assignment due the next day.

2. Don't forget to email the professor when needed

Stephen Phillips / Unsplash

If you're taking a hard course, you will definitely need to email the professor if you're struggling to understand the content. You can also visit your professor during office hours when needed. It's important to make sure that you are letting the professor know if you are struggling with any of the concepts discussed in class.

Online classes can sometimes be harder to keep up with material and understand concepts since it involves a lot of reading material and video discussions. It's important, therefore, to make sure that you are seeking help when needed.

3. Always read any readings that are posted

Surface / Unsplash

Yes, those readings that you see posted are there for a reason. If your professor posts a reading, you shouldn't skip reading it or skim over it. A lot of these readings are often on tests and in assignments that are posted.

Sometimes they are posted in order to help you to better comprehend the course material. So instead of skimming over the reading, you should make sure that you are taking the time to read the material and taking notes when needed.

4. For online tests, make sure to check if it's timed

Scott Graham / Unsplash

This is extremely important! With an online class, you should always check to see if your online test is timed or not. It's very easy to open up a test and have it opened for an hour without realizing that it only allows you to have it open for a limited amount of time.

If your test is timed, you should also make sure that you take it in a place where you won't be distracted or interrupted for that time period. You should also make sure that you check if the test allows you to submit multiple attempts since some tests will allow you to try multiple times to receive a better score.

5. Space time out accordingly for completing assignments

Green Chameleon / Unsplash

With online courses, it can be difficult to keep track of how much time to spend on each assignment. Assignments can start to pile up when you're taking an online course, so it's best to plan how much time to spend on each one. Try using a planner to help plan when to complete course work.

6. Treat the course just like it's a typical course

Eliott Reyna / Unsplash

Yes, online courses should be taken just as seriously as taking an on-campus course! Just because you are taking the course online does not mean it won't be as difficult or have the same impact on your GPA. You should treat the course just like any other course and make sure that you are putting in the same amount of effort as you would any other course.

7. Find a good place to study

Annie Spratt / Unsplash

Just like in person class, you should find a good place to study. This is especially important with taking an online course since you will be spending a lot of time trying to study the material on your own. Try going to a place where you can study in peace such as a café, the library, or even in an office.

8. Avoid distractions

Nick Morrison / Unsplash

You should always make sure that you complete your assignments and are participating in coursework without any distractions.This includes trying to watch television while doing homework or spending time on your phone.

Multitasking can actually prolong the time it takes to complete a task. Psychology Today says that when you attempt to multitask, it can take 40 percent longer to finish one task. So instead, focus on completing one task at a time instead of several.

9. Actively participate in discussions

Headway / Unsplash

If you're taking an online course, you will want to make sure that you are frequently participating in the online discussions. This includes any Zoom meetings and online discussions.

Hearing discussions on the course material from other students and from the instructor will help you in the same way that it helps you in an in-person class. It will not only help you raise your grade, but it will also help you to better understand the course material. So, spend some time taking notes and participating in the discussions.

10. Check your email regularly

Solen Feyissa / Unsplash

Finally, make sure that you are always checking your email for any updates from your professor. Because you have an online class, any communication from your professor will be through email. Usually this consists of the change of assignments or project due dates, updates on course material, or information about how to complete assignments. Just make sure that you are always checking your email throughout the day so that you don't miss any important information.

Whether you're planning on taking an online course due to COVID or you need to take one for your major, following these tips will help you pass your course. Taking an online course can sometimes be more difficult than an on-campus course, but if you make sure to put a lot of effort into completing the assignments and study effectively, you will be able to successfully pass.