5 Simple Tips To Help You Become The Vegetarian You're Really Trying To Be

Vegetarians are thinner, have lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduced risk of heart disease.

109

Come every January there are hundreds of millions of people making new year’s resolutions to lose weight and to be more healthy. Many adopt quick-fix crash diets and buy gym memberships, and yet at the next December, they are no less healthy or happier with their bodies.

One way to lose weight and to be overall healthier is to adopt a vegetarian diet. Of course, there are numerous other reasons for going vegetarian including moral, environmental, cultural, and religious reasons. No matter your reason these tips will help you be successful in sticking to this diet.

1. Do your research.

Before I committed to vegetarianism, I had to do my research. I wanted to make sure that this was actually a healthy diet and that I could commit to completely cutting meat. I recommend reading The Vegetarian Manifesto by Cheryl L. Perry. It’s written for teenagers, so the language is easy to understand and it answers all your questions when it comes to supplements to consider taking, planning your meals, and how to talk to family and friends about your new diet.

2. Know your reasons.

In order to make sure you will be successful in committing to this diet, know why you are choosing to this diet. If you are just trying this diet because it is in or trendy to be a vegetarian, you will not be effective in keeping this method of eating. If you feel that eating animals are morally wrong, then your reasons are moral.

If your religious group bans eating meat, then your reasons are religious. If you know the vast environmental consequences of the meat industry, then your reasons are environmental. If you just want to adopt a healthier diet, your reasons are for your health. No matter the reason, know why this diet is important to you.

3. Forgive yourself for slipping and get back on the wagon.

Our eating habits are ingrained from birth. Like most people, you have probably been eating meat since you were a child. It is difficult to just stop eating meat cold turkey. From time to time, you will slip up and have a cheeseburger (or two or three). Forgive yourself. Acknowledge the slip up, and commit to your diet again the next day.

4. Plan. Plan. Plan.

One of the best ways to ensure your success is to plan. When you are going out with your friends to eat, it is best to look up the menu online if you can that way you can make sure there will be something you can eat. If you are going somewhere for a dinner party or to a party, make sure there will be something you can eat or consider eating before. At first, this was the largest challenge was planning to make sure I would be fed in an overly meat world, but I hardly notice it anymore.

5. Consider taking supplements.

As a vegetarian, you are at risk for having protein, iron, and vitamin B12 deficiencies. If you are not getting enough protein, consider adding protein powder to your smoothies or consuming protein shakes. Eat leafy greens for your iron needs. Since vitamin B12 can only be consumed from animal products, this is the one vitamin you may need to consider taking a supplement to avoid deficiencies.