Tip For Professors From A Student

Tips For Professors From A Student

Just a few ideas here and there!

18
Tips For Professors From A Student
https://unsplash.com/photos/ewGMqs2tmJI

I can't tell you how many times I've been in a class and thought "I would do that differently." I feel that even if you are good at a subject, that doesn't mean that you are good at teaching that subject. It seems as if some professors just want to get in and out of the classroom as quickly as all the students. But, I'm not taking out loans to get a half-fast education of memorizing. As a marketing major, I want to learn how to be successful in the business world.

One of my Statistics teachers always has a new lesson before a quiz that is in prior lessons. This is extremely difficult in the fact that not only am I repeating chapter one's formula in my head to remember it but now I have to learn all new equations in chapter two. I know some will say I should have been studying for weeks before a quiz and have every formula perfectly memorized. In real life, no one does that. If you want your students to do better, it makes a lot more sense on the student side to have the chapter one quiz first and then move on.

This may just be a pet peeve, but does anyone else get annoyed when a professor answers their own question? They'll address the class, not turn from the board, not looking for a raise of hands, and then say the answer. It gets repetitive after awhile. Look up from the board and see if people have questions.

I've noticed that professors with the strictest due dates are always the ones who don't grade anything until the exam week. They usually have little wiggle room for excuses or day late assignments. But, when you ask about your test from five weeks ago all they can say is "I have a lot of papers to grade." You could be acing or failing, but you don't know till it's too late. If you aren't going to offer points for late work, then there shouldn't be a reason as to why my paper hasn't been graded within a week of its due date. Grade things every week so my assignments are up to date and I can make sure I'm on the right track.