Time Is Ticking For Joe Biden And Bernie Sanders' 2020 Plans

The Former VP and current Senator both have not made any announcements on whether they're running in 2020. While several other candidates have already announced their runs, the two assumed front-runners have stayed quiet.

530

Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden still have not announced their intentions on whether they will run in 2020. With over 10 candidates who have already announced their campaigns, time is running out for Sanders and Biden. While historically, the average announcement comes about just under a year before the Iowa Caucuses. This year, that threshold has been pushed back, with the earliest announcement coming almost 14 months before the caucuses.

There are 11 candidates so far that are on the list for the Democratic nomination, but two huge names aren't on there: Biden and Sanders. The current candidates are:

Sen. Kamala Harris

Rep. John Delaney

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand

Former Secretary of HUD Julian Castro

Sen. Elizabeth Warren

Sen. Amy Klobuchar 

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard

Mayor Pete Buttigieg

Sen. Cory Booker

Businesswoman Marianne Williamson

Businessman Andrew Yang

Maybe they're waiting to announce their campaigns at a more historical time of 11 months until the caucuses. However, some believe age might be a factor into what is driving their hesitation. Biden is currently 76 years old and Sanders is 77. If one of them were to win, they would be the oldest president to take office in history. That title is currently held by the current White House resident, Donald Trump. The two powerhouses represent two ends of the Democratic party. The more moderate, establishment end, and the progressive, liberal end. People have been waiting patiently for the two to enter the race, and its probably only a matter of time until they will.

Biden and Sanders would enter a crowded field but are at the top of most polls. The closest candidate to them is Kamala Harris, the junior Senator from California. The list keeps growing, and it doesn't look like it'll shorten until the Iowa Caucuses next February. While the two sit on the sidelines, it seems that everyone and their mother is making a run for the White House. We still have a whole year until a debate probably. So sit back, and relax because election season is still just under a year away.