How TikTok Skincare Gurus Totally Cleared My Acne-Prone Skin

TikTok's Skincare Gurus Totally Cleared My Acne-Prone Skin — Here's What They Taught Me

And I bet they can help you too.

178

Throughout my endless scrolling on TikTok, I came across the skincare community and I have never been more in awe. From influencers such as @skincarebyhyram, @yayayayoung, and @whatsonvisface, I have learned so much about my skin. I've learned what products to use, what works best for my skin type, and how much of each product to use.

I've always loved makeup since the first time I put it on my freshman year of high school, but I never really learned about how to take care of my skin. Up until a few months ago, I was using products for YEARS that I learned was causing more harm than good to my skin, and I would've never known if I didn't come across these influencers.

If I would have never found the skincare gurus, I'd probably still be using St. Ives and Neutrogena and my skin would be getting worse by the day. I've finally "hacked" my skincare routine, and I hope all lot you can get the glowing skin that you dream of with these tips I've learned!

Here's how I finally figured out my perfect skincare routine, thanks to the help of TikTok influencers.

I threw away all those damaging products!

For so long I was using Neutrogena's acne washes, makeup wipes, and St. Ives apricot scrub, but no more. I learned that St. Ives causes your skin to have little holes in them, and it damages the skin's barrier.

I learned that the Neutrogena grapefruit acne wash had almost no acne-fighting ingredients, and they had more fragrance and alcohol in them than I'd like to admit, same goes for the makeup wipes, they just rubbed makeup around on the skin.

No wonder I was breaking out like crazy — I was destroying my skin!

Instead of those harsh washes and physical exfoliants, I swapped them out for gentle face washes, toner pads for my acne, and chemical exfoliation.

1. For my personal skincare routine, I use The Ordinary Squalane cleanser as my first step to getting all of my makeup and sunscreen off.
  2. Then I go in with my COSRX Low Ph Good Morning Gel Cleanser to help fully cleanse my skin without it feeling stripped and dry.
  3. After I'm done washing, I use the COSRX One Step Original Clear Pad to help tone my skin and to fight acne.
  4. Also for acne flare-ups, I use the COSRX Acne Pimple Master Patch, which is a godsend and really helps to decrease the size of my acne.
  5. I also use the Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% serum from The Ordinary to help with the size of my pores, inflammation on my face, and my acne. This is my go-to acne product, and it has never let me down!
  6. Finally, for my chemical exfoliation, I use The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution 2x a week. I only use this 1-2x a week max, or else you're going to do more harm than good to your skin.
  7. Once you're finished with all these steps, you want to lock it in with a good moisturizer for your skin! I've been using Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream for the past 2 years, and it helps to keep my combination skin hydrated and to help keep oils at bay.

I started using Retinol, Vitamin C, and Sunscreen.

Before joining TikTok, I had no clue that people put Retinol and Vitamin C on their face, or that you should use sunscreen every day.

After I watched these videos, I've seen major improvements in my skin.

I use the Inkey List's Retinol and I love it. Retinol is used to help acne, reduce the signs of aging, and reduce the look of pores. Ever since I started using it 2 months ago, my acne and my pores have decreased dramatically, and I thought they never would.

It recommended to only use Retinol 3x a week, and you have to build up to that since it's a very potent product.

Your skin will probably purge itself/break out when you first try it because it's so strong, but after a few weeks, your skin will adjust and look better than ever.

Vitamin C also helps to brighten up the appearance of the skin, so you're not looking dull.

I use the Inkey List's 15% Vitamin C + EGF and I absolutely love it.

It really does brighten the appearance of my skin, giving me that beautiful glow in the mornings.

Never had I thought that I should be wearing sunscreen every day, all I ever did was wear it at the beach. After I learned that sunscreen has benefits such as reducing the look of fine line, wrinkles, and aging, I knew I had to start wearing it. Sunscreen also gives you a nice glow to your skin the mornings too.

Some of them have severe white casts, so make sure you do some research before buying one so you don't look like Casper the ghost.

My personal go-to is the CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion with SPF 30.

Odyssey may earn a portion of purchases made via links on this page.