Throwback List: Top 10 Films of 2011

Throwback List: Top 10 Films of 2011

As I look back into some of my favorite films of the decade, I wanted to give my favorites of the year from the decade so far: let's continue with 2011.

589
Throwback List: Top 10 Films of 2011
FilmDistrict/YouTube.com

When following a terrific year in film like 2010, there is hope that the same goes for the years afterward and 2011 had a superb group of films released. While not as strong as the previous year, I throughly enjoyed 2011’s catalog. I remember going to the theater nearly every week that summer, but it was the awards season that got to me... as expected. Steven Spielberg also released two films, "The Adventures of Tintin" and "War Horse", four days apart from one another. It was similar to how Leonardo DiCaprio had Martin Scorsese’s "Gangs of New York" and Spielberg’s "Catch Me if You Can" released within the span of four days in 2002. There was a lot to like in 2011 and my list is extremely versatile, which is always a pro in anyone’s top 10 list.

Honorable Mentions:

1. "The Ides of March"

2. "Rise of the Planet of the Apes"

3. "Bridesmaids"

4. "X-Men: First Class"

5. "We Need to Talk About Kevin"

6. "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

7. "Shame"

8. "Super 8"

9. "Moneyball"

10. "The Adventures of Tintin"

10. "Source Code"

image via Lionsgate

Duncan Jones followed the Sam Rockwell-led indie darling "Moon" with a mid-budget blockbuster starring Jake Gyllenhaal as a soldier that discovers himself in someone else’s body on a bomb-filled train as part of an experimental government program. It is basically "Groundhog Day" mixed with "Inception" and it is high-octane from the start. Gyllenhaal continued his strong leading man status in a layered performance and the pacing was energetic, with clever twists thrown throughout. "Source Code" is very underrated in Gyllenhaal’s catalog and one that should not be ignored.

9. "The Muppets"

image via Disney

Thanks to director James Bobin and star/co-writer Jason Segel, the iconic puppets created by Jim Henson returned to the big screen in a charming and sincere fashion. "The Muppets"hasSegel and Amy Adams starring as Gary and Mary, who pair with Gary’s brother Walter to help reunite the disbanded Muppets. It’s such a simple premise, but it works so well due to the fantastic screenplay filled with clever humor and touching sequences. The music deserves a mention, as ‘Man or Muppet’ took Bret McKenzie home an Oscar. In the end, this was a fantastic comeback for The Muppets and it was clear that Segel wanted to show the world that they are as important as people believe.

8. "The Artist"

image via The Weinstein Company

I am not the biggest viewer of silent films, but there was nothing like "The Artist" and it was more than a silent film. It was a clever and joyous story that kept finding ways to delight the viewers and that could be why it rightfully deserved it’s Best Picture win at the Oscars. It also showed the downfall of silent cinema in ways that affected me heavily. Following the relationship between a silent film star and a rising young actress, Jean Dujardin, who won the Oscar for Best Actor, and Bérénice Bejo were breathtaking together and Ludovic Bource’s score is one of the most memorable of the decade so far. A lot of people haven’t talked about "The Artist" since it was released and that’s a disappointment. It’s incredible and silent film fan or not - it’s a must-see!

7. "Crazy, Stupid, Love"

image via Warner Bros.

There are plenty of romantic comedies nowadays that feel very generic and basic, but "Crazy, Stupid, Love" is far from being one. Steve Carell plays a recently divorced man finding ways to rediscover his manhood, who meets a womanizer, played by Ryan Gosling, that’ll help him redeem his goal. The cast is phenomenal and the script is full of laughs and charm, which was something that I hadn’t expected. You want to talk about a big surprise? This was one of them! Also, this was Gosling’s first collaboration with Emma Stone and there’s an extremely overlooked Marisa Tomei performance here that deserved way more attention. David Lindhagen, the end.

6. "Drive"

image via FilmDistrict

2011 was clearly known as “The Year of Gosling,” with "Drive" being his best project of that year. He stars as an unnamed stunt driver who spends his evenings as a getaway driver. That’s the basic premise and all that is needed to know. One of my personal favorite genres is neo-noir and this has that written all over it, due to the brilliance of director Nicolas Winding Refn. While it may be insanely violent, there is a beautiful arc following Gosling’s subdued character and it felt very grounded at times. There’s also breathtaking visuals and an amazing soundtrack throughout "Drive," making it two of its more memorable features. The ensemble cast is amazing too, with Carey Mulligan and Albert Brooks being the stand-outs. Remember: we all need a real human being and a real hero.

5. "Carnage"

image via Sony Pictures Classics

It is hard to think about a film directed by Roman Polanski without noting his personal life, but when you push that aside - you remember that he is an incredible filmmaker with "Carnage" being one of his underrated works. Four actors, one location, eighty minutes, that’s it. Based on the Tony Award-winning play "God of Carnage," two pairs of parents (Kate Winslet & Christoph Waltz, Jodie Foster & John C. Reilly) discuss an incident between their sons. It leads to chaos and it’s a blast from start-to-finish with strong dialogue and outstanding performances. Each of the actors have their shining moments and I am fond of when films are able to be engrossing when taking place in just one location throughout the film. There should have been more buzz surrounding "Carnage" and I remember after watching it for the first time that I wanted to see it again and again. It’s that good.

4. "Midnight in Paris"

image via Sony Pictures Classics

Woody Allen is the big definition of a hit-or-miss filmmaker, but "Midnight in Paris" is one of the best films of his career and most certainly, the best he has done this decade. Owen Wilson stars as a screenwriter, in Paris for a trip with his fiancée’s (Rachel McAdams) family, that finds himself going back to 1920s every night. The themes of nostalgia and modernism are depicted in a clever fashion here that reminds of Allen’s early days of his career. Throughout the film, there are amazing performances, a fantastic score and a really delightful screenplay that earned an Oscar. It’s my personal favorite Woody Allen film and I hope he goes back to doing works like this, if his career ever falls out of the slumps.

3. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2"

image via Warner Bros.

This was unlike any blockbuster franchise finale since "Return of the King" and it managed to mix excitement and emotions in ways that were better than quite of the Oscar-bait films of the year. I have been a "Harry Potter" fan my whole life and the conclusion was satisfying from start-to-finish. It was definitely difficult saying goodbye to the characters that captured our hearts on the big screen for a decade, but David Yates wrapped up everyone’s arcs perfectly with "Deathly Hallows - Part 2." Also, it was a crime that the late Alan Rickman wasn’t recognized by The Academy for his brilliant performance as Severus Snape this time around.

2. "The Descendants"

image via Fox Searchlight Pictures

After a long seven-year hiatus, Alexander Payne returned with another dramedy, with George Clooney being the lead this time around. "The Descendants" is one of the decade’s best films, as well as the one I was rooting to win the Oscar for Best Picture. Clooney stars as Matt King, a land baron who tries to reconnect with his two daughters after his wife is injured in a tragic boating accident. It has the charms and laughs you’d see in an Alexander Payne-film, as it did take home the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay. But, it’s really the father-daughter dynamic between Clooney and Shailene Woodley that hits it out of the ball park big time.

1. "50/50"

image via Lionsgate

It is absolutely sickening that no one talks about "50/50" like the way they speak about some of the films I brought up on this list. Helmed by Jonathan Levine, it stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt, giving the performance of his career, as a young man diagnosed with cancer and his struggles with beating the disease. This is the pure example of a dramedy done correctly, with Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen having unbelievable chemistry and a lot of heart is thrown throughout the 100-minute running time. Anna Kendrick and Bryce Dallas Howard also deliver strong turns here, but it’s the Joseph Gordon-Levitt show from start-to-finish. Who would have ever thought a film about cancer would’ve made someone laugh? But, there are a lot of heavy scenes - including a tear-jerking phone call between Gordon-Levitt and Kendrick towards the final act of "50/50." I can’t stop praising this one, so give it a watch and you won’t be disappointed.