7 Reasons To Throw Your Controller During Fortnite: Battle Royale

It's not you, it's the game's fault.

204
youtube

1. Fall Damage

This one will get you like it's gotten me many times. Perhaps you're building up the side of a mountain to charge the last team and just as you're about to jump off the stairs and on to the mountain you realize you should've built one more platform. You just miss the landing and you slide down the mountain side, too panicked to build a floor to break your fall, to your death where you're left to watch your team try to clutch the victory without you.

2. Caught in the Storm

This one hurts because the only person to blame is yourself. It's like suffering a non-contact injury in sports. It has nothing to do with the play or the opponent but the consequences are just as severe. Say you're in Lucky Landing and you should probably start heading into the circle but you think you have just enough time to loot one more building. Before you know it you're 200 meters from the safe zone, frantically applying all your bandages in a desperate effort to survive but you die feet from safety before the game ever really got started.

3. Phantom wall

Don't worry it's not you. It's got to be the game's fault. While the building system is what vaults Fortnite to lofty heights, it's also responsible for many a controller throw. From getting shot through a wall before it's fully built, to trying but failing to place a wall in a certain spot and getting flanked because of it, the building system is a fickle mistress that will either have you celebrating victory or leave you with your face buried in your hands.

4. The Kamikaze

This is a rare one but a rage inducer nonetheless. Nothing will leave you speechless with anger more than you and your opponent killing each other simultaneously. It's just not fair.

5. The target on your back

You've been in a squad for the last couple hours and not only do you die first EVERY time, but you're ALWAYS the first person in the group to get shot at. Even though there are three other players clearly visible to fire at, they always choose you, and KEEP firing at you even when your teammates fire back. You feel like you're covered in honey in a room full of flies and you can't stop checking behind you every few feet because you can almost already feel the vibration of the controller and the red flash on your screen indicating you've been shot from behind, the side, or some other unseen location while your teammates run unscathed through an open field.

6. 1 HP: This is the holy grail

There is absolutely nothing in the game that makes me more mad. When it happens, there is nothing to do but stare at the screen with dead blankness on your face that can only mean you've just damaged the opponent down to one health point, only to be killed by him first. So many what if's arise to haunt you. What if you'd have just hit him higher with that one shot? What if you got the shot off first? He should be dead not you! The 1 HP will haunt you with an inner monologue of hypothetical that could have you in a funk for the rest of the day.

7. Maybe you just suck

This moment happens for everyone. It's late at night and it's the third game in a row where you haven't made it under 60 people. You tell yourself you suck. Just sleep it off. You'll find your groove again in the morning.