3 Movies In Theaters That You Need To See Right Now

Whether you need a good cry, scare, or laugh, there's a movie out for you.

20
Cosmic Booknews

1. "The Lego Batman Movie"

Funny, smart, and eye-poppingly irresistible, “The Lego Batman Movie” is a must see, for more than just the intended audience. Not limited to just a silly, juvenile PG Batman movie, it is cleverly written and very funny at times, even for me, a 20-year-old who typically avoids “kid movies” (or so I say).

The story—infused with frenetic pop-culture references and critique of the industries which can’t seem to get a Batman movie right (*cough, cough* Warner Bros., “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” “Suicide Squad,” etc.)—will probably seem familiar, but a contrived and overbearing plot was never the intention for this film in the first place. It features some hilarious voice acting from Will Arnett, whose sarcastically self-serious Batman voice feels both dark and humorous, Michael Cera, and, of course, Zach Galifianakis. The rapid-fire jokes are what keeps the movie afloat, and even though some fall flat, it’s hard to deny the film’s overall charm. If you’re looking for a movie that doesn’t take itself too seriously, and/or you're crazy for anything with Batman in the title, then check this one out.

2. "Get Out"

Jordan Peele’s film debut, “Get Out,” is a scary but conscious film which doesn’t let you ignore its perfectly relevant themes. This movie is a breath of fresh air for the horror genre, with few garnering as much attention or becoming even remotely as thought-provoking as this one does. The film follows Chris (Daniel Kaluuya), a black photographer who is meeting his girlfriend’s (Allison Williams) white parents for the first time… Yikes! And not long after arriving does Chris’ uneasiness settle in. Of course, some of this social-hyperbole is oh-so-hilarious, but terrifying in the same breath.

The film unravels in strange ways, introducing items such as hypnosis and mind-control, and it is a clear satire dedicated to the racial tensions in America. If the odd and confusing trailer did not intrigue you, I will add that the film has received high praise (even boasting a 99 percent on Rotten Tomatoes), and it's well-deserving. Put any pre-conceived notions behind you—get out and see it!

3. "Logan"

It’s “The Dark Knight” for the X-Men Universe. “Logan” is not just a great superhero movie, but a great movie in general. The superhero genre has set both high and low expectations over the last decade or so, but few are groundbreaking, powerful and emotional; “Logan” is all three, and much more. It doesn’t rely on an over-abundance of CGI or a campy superhero squad (not to say I don’t love a campy superhero squad), and it’s so far from cliché, bridging a gap between superheroes and real life. Logan (Hugh Jackman) is living out his days with old-time mentor, Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart), but a young mutant with a connection to the Wolverine stirs things up. Due to its much-needed R-rating, “Logan” is bold, violent, and devastating. It is a flagship for the X-Men movies, a standout for the genre, and a great movie in general.