Three Books Similar to Harry Potter

Three Books Similar to Harry Potter

Because J.K. Rowling doesn't deserve our money.

28
Three Books Similar to Harry Potter
Photo by Sofia Alejandra from Pexels

The Kane Chronicles

Rick Riordan, the author of The Kane Chronicles, is most famous for writing Percy Jackson. The series follows the lives of brother-sister duo Sadie and Carter Kane, whose mother died six years before the series' events. Sadie lives in London with their grandparents, but Kane travels with their father, an Egyptologist named Julius Kane. The plot of this series involves Julius reuniting his kids at the British Museum, where he unleashes the god Set, who banishes him. It is up to Sadie and Carter to navigate a strange world to bring their father back to Earth. Like Percy Jackson, this series is geared toward middle grade (upper elementary and middle school) readers, but adults can enjoy this series as well.

Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

Harry Potter fans may remember Flamel's brief appearance in the first book, but real-life legend tells of him attaining immortality. This hexalogy (six-book series) by Michael Scott (no, not the Steve Carrell character from the popular sitcom The Office) follows twins Josh and Sophie on a quest and battle for the Book of Abraham the Mage. This artifact contains an elixir of life that may destroy the world in the wrong hands.

The Name of The Wind

The first book in Patrick Rothfuss's trilogy Kingskiller Chronicle, this novel follows the adventures of a young boy who wants to become a famous wizard (sound familiar?). It takes place in a fictional world called Temerant, a continent where its known area, the Four Corners of Civilization, is divided into distinct nations much like our modern world. The main religion of this world is based on medieval Christianity, though these faiths are not the same. The Fae is a parallel world where supernatural creatures can only move into the mortal realm of Temerant during a full moon.