Thoughts on Racism

Thoughts on Racism

Hate only breeds hate.

325
Thoughts on Racism
Australians Against Racism

Ya know what really blows my mind?

Racism.

It's something that I always thought was, well, DONE WITH. When I was younger, I thought that racism was something that was only in the past–like a distant memory because I had only ever really seen it in history class. But now that I've been on this Earth for almost 20 years, it's completely astonishing how I had been blind and lived in my own little bubble for as long as I did. I'm so glad that I decided to go away to school and get a better grip on the world around me, cuz God, it can be scary. But let's stick to the topic, here.

Racism can be defined as:

"The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

That completely baffles me. Why? Because it's simply not true. But what shocks me even more, are the vicious displays of said racism happening STILL to this DAY–IN 2017, PEOPLE. It's one thing to not like someone for valid reasons, but to dislike an entire race just because of outlandish stereotypes is beyond me. And even still, if you dislike someone, there can be a so-called "agree to disagree." Leave it be, and don't encourage violence.

Now, before I go any further, I want to say that I understand stereotypical jokes are a part of entertainment, but there's also a fine line between "joking around" and just being flat-out racist.

With that out of the way, I just need to express how LUDICROUS it sounds to hate someone JUST because of the color of their skin. What has that person ever done to you?... nothing. Do you know that person?...no. You don't. You have no idea what their life is like or what their life entails. As my friend's father told me, "When you assume, you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me.'"

What scares me the most about racism is that... well–for one–it's still very prevalent today; and that it's taught to younger generations. Babies do not know color.

So what I really have to say is this:

2017 is a new year, and maybe it will hold some promise. But we mustn't rely only on hope–we must do our part to stand up and speak out.

"Yesterday is history
And it's never comin' back!
Tomorrow is a brand new day, and it don't know white from black!"