My Thoughts On The Panic! At The Disco Concert

It was definitely an experience.

567
LiveNation.com

This past week, I had the opportunity to see "Panic! At the Disco" live at the Baxter Arena in Omaha, along with openers: "Saint Motel" and "Misterwives".

Anyone who grew up in the early 2000's will tell you how much they listened to bands like "Fall Out Boy" and "Panic! At the Disco" throughout their middle school and high school days. That's why it was no surprise that hundreds and hundreds of people turned up to see the show, despite the fact that "Panic!" is mainly just composed of Brendon Urie and a tour band now.

Needless to say, the excitement was evident in the room that night. I, for one, was already excited to see "Saint Motel", an alternative rock band I had been meaning to see for a long time anyway.

"Misterwives", on the other hand, didn't really keep my interest very much. If you've never heard of them, they are an alternative dance band full of energy and color. I'm sure there were many people in the audience enjoying the energetically bright display, but I guess I just wasn't feeling their vibe.

However, the next band to perform was "Panic!". With expectations so high, they definitely did not disappoint.

Their elaborate video displays, pyrotechnics, and practically universally recognizable songs all combined to create an atmosphere of pure excitement. People were jumping up and down screaming the lyrics to songs that they'd grown up singing.

On top of all of that, there were a few moments that particularly stood out.

The first was when Brendon waded through the crowds on the ground floor while singing "Death of a Bachelor." Seeing the way he interacted with, talked to, and hugged the fans who looked up to him as a hero was something quite moving. It really showed how much he cared for the fans.

The second was during the performance of the song "Girls/Girls/Boys." Before the concert, someone had taken the time to put colored paper hearts in the cup holders of practically every seat. The hearts came with instructions to put them over our phone flashlights while this song was playing. The effect was a sea of rainbow-colored lights. At the end of that song, as Brendon addressed the audience, you could hear him trying to hold back tears as he spoke about how much that scene meant to him. There wasn't a dry eye in the room.

It should also be noted that directly after this speech, the band played the entirety of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody," another song with which everyone could sing along.

The third moment came when Brendon sang "This is Gospel" on a classical piano, without the help of the band. As he played this already heart-wrenching song, the piano was slowly lifted up on a moving platform, as white petals drifted down from the ceiling, creating a beautifully serene image.

And finally, one of my favorite moments of the night was the finale. Of course, everyone knows the song that made "Panic!" famous, "I Write Sins, Not Tragedies." There wasn't a person in that stadium who didn't know all the words to that song by heart. Hearing a stadium full of people screaming the lyrics to one of the best pop punk songs ever written was definitely something I won't soon forget.

All in all, this was a fantastic concert. If you ever get the chance to see Panic! in person, I highly suggest that you do. You won't regret it.