8 Concepts That Shocked My American Friends About Italy

Wine. Wine, everywhere!

418
Toa Heftiba

I have many American friends who come visit me in my home country during the summer. My mom and dad always joke that we should open a Bed & Breakfast in our house just for Americans.

To those friends that are hosted by my family we give them the authentic Italian experience: we cook homemade Italian meals, they get to meet my grandmothers and learn their recipes, we give them a personal tour of my hometown, they are treated like stars, and their visit becomes the biggest news of the year for my little town.

Far from seeing the typical touristic places such as Venice or Rome, I show them the heart of Italy: the hidden towns and villages where the majority of Italians live their everyday life.

I really enjoy seeing Italy through my friends' eyes because they bring a completely different perspective and they help me see my country under a different light.

As I experienced a culture shock when I first came to America, they have the same experience when they come to Italy. So I talked with some of my friends and ask them what they were thinking when they first arrived in my country.

Here are 8 thoughts Americans have about Italy:

1. How can they eat so much pasta and not weigh 300 pounds?

Love for pasta is in the Italians' DNA. We eat pasta every day, usually for lunch or dinner. There are different types of pasta with various shapes, not just spaghetti. Every Italian knows at least three pasta recipes and there are some secret family recipes that he or she doesn't want to share with anybody.

So, how can you eat that much pasta and not look like a whale? I will tell you our secret: we walk. In Italy, we rarely use the car and, since everything is so close, we walk everywhere.

2. Gelato is heaven in a cone.

There is a difference between ice cream and gelato. When you go to Italy, you can taste it. In Italy, we have specialized gelato shops called gelaterie, where they make the gelato from scratch. There are so many different flavors (nocciola, crema, stracciatella, pistacchio, limone...), which are not available in America, so I encourage you to be bold and try something new.

3. Where is my free refill?

season 2 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

One of my American friends told me that he was in a complete shock when he found out that there are no free refills at Italian restaurants and fast food chains.

You need to pay if you want more coke and you even need to PAY FOR WATER! I know it is sad, but in this way, you learn to save your money and cut your calories.

4.What? No alfredo sauce and no pepperoni pizza?

confused sex and the city GIF

I am sorry to give you this tragic news, but alfredo sauce and pepperoni pizza do not exist in Italy. If you go to any authentic Italian restaurant and ask for chicken alfredo pasta they will look at you like you are speaking some weird alien language.

Also, please do not try to order a pineapple on pizza because they will either laugh at you or shoot you.

5. Why is everyone dressed up like they are going to a Prada fashion show?

Forget Nike shorts, yoga pants, and oversized t-shirts. in Italy, we dress up even to go to the grocery store. Since Milan is the world capital of fashion, and Italy is the homeland of famous fashion brands such as Gucci, Armani, Prada, Dolce Gabbana and Versace, every Italian girl feels like she is constantly on a catwalk.

In Italy, fashion style is a symbol of social status and people are expected to be dressed up for every occasion.

6. Wine, wine, wine

Wine is an essential element of the Italian culture and it usually served for every meal. This does not mean we are drunk all the time. We use wine to accompany the food we are eating and we usually drink just two glasses.

Due to the fact that wine plays an important role in the Italian culture, there are many wineries that produce different varieties of wine and young people usually go to wine bars on Friday night where, with $20, they get a rich buffet and unlimited wine until 11 p.m.

7. Is the Mafia going to get me?

movie mafia marlon brando the godfather movie quotes GIF

I am not saying that Mafia exists only in the movies, because that is not true. However, they won't come knocking at your door making you an offer you can't refuse.

The Mafia has always been a plague for Italy, and although we haven't gotten rid of it yet, we have significantly reduced its power thanks to the bravery of the Anti-mafia Italian magistrates and the police force.

8. Wow! It's so pretty!

A lot of my American friends were struck by the natural and cultural beauty of my country. In 2017 Italy was voted the most beautiful country in the world for its breathtaking landscapes, amazing architecture, delicious food and rich history. I am really proud of my country and I hope you are going to visit it someday!