To Those I've Met This Past Year At Plattsburgh

We have been apart now for a week, and this is what I have to say, raw and unfiltered.

32

Here’s to the ones who stayed, to the ones who left, to the ones who screwed me over, to the ones who saved me; Here’s to this last year.

Dear Roommate,

You were always there for me, even without being there. I could never have asked for a better roommate, nor be happier with the friendship we’ve built. You respected boundaries, even though there were little between us. You gave me a shoulder to cry on when I needed, but at the same time knocked some sense into me when I was being dramatic. You were honest with me and told me when my hair wasn’t looking too great, but never let me forget when I was looking good. I can’t imagine having lived with anyone else, thank you for sharing not only a room with me but a crazy year.

To Old Friend(s) and Group(s),

Thank you so much to some, and a big a F you to others. Despite things not having worked out, memories were made and that is what counts, right? For those who realized early on our friendship just didn’t click, I agree, but I’m glad we gave it a shot. For those who just drifted away, it was a mutual drift, you can’t stay friends with everyone you meet; but we had a good run. And finally for the one who screwed me over, well, you get you own separate letter.

Dear Ex-Friend,

I’m sure you are sitting on you pedestal thinking about how great you are for doing what was "best for you", but it’s time to step down. I’m all about putting yourself first and doing what you need to do to be happy, but if you are as mature as you proclaim you would know that what you did and how you presented it was just cruel and most certainly unusual. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we aren’t friends anymore, because I am so much happier without you in my life. Although I’m still hostile, especially to those who don’t care about other people (funny how that works, right?)

Dear New Friends,

I’m glad you were there when you were, and although the friendships were cut short with the semester having come to a close, I have no doubt we can pick up where we left off. Thank you for making the rest of the spring semester the best it could have been.

To the One Who Was There in the Right Place at the Right Time,

You actually drove me crazy, but you taught me a lot in the process: like all the horrors of capitalist America and how to properly pack pillows… No but really, I’ll always be thankful for what you did and without knowing you did more for me in 3 weeks than most people could do in 3 years. You’re not the best driver, and you probably smoke too much, but you are such a good person and I wish you knew that. I may not be able to figure you out, but I can tell you that despite your flaws or your past; you are much better than you know.

Dear Best Friend,

Honestly, I have no idea where to even start, but here goes. You were there for me through everything, from being sick in the hospital, to being broken up with while sick in the hospital, to the best nights of my life and every in-between. I never in my life have encountered someone as incredible or as selfless as you, and I promise you I will be there for you the way you are for me. Life has run us over about 200 times, but there is no one else I would want to push through the hard times with and the party through the good times with. Here’s to the next step together: Roommates! God help us.