Why This Summer Was A Game Changer

Why This Summer Was A Game Changer

Most times when someone asks me how my summer break went, a simple 'good' will do, but this year was so much more than just good.

22
Why This Summer Was A Game Changer

"How was your summer?"

"Good, how about you?"

"Mine was great! Thanks."

*Both girls smile politely and walk off.*

So, if you were wondering why I jumped to the point of this article so quickly without offering any sort of intro, it's because I wanted to show you how simple this conversation is. The girl talking up there? That is usually me. Not getting too deep into conversation, a simple "Great, how about you?" would suffice. This is how I answered people when they asked me how my summer went, every summer before this one. I would always just say that it was good, without actually thinking about it. I would never pause to reflect and answer honestly. And maybe the Summers before this one, maybe I would answer "Eh, it was alright," if I were to actually answer honestly.

But this Summer was a game changer. This summer was actually incredible. Not that I'm trying to rush it- I know that there are over 16 days left of it, but this Summer was honestly magical, breathtaking, and everything in between. There were some tough times that I never thought I would make it out of. There were some unimaginable situations I never wanted to endure, and some people's true colors that I never wanted to see.

But I genuinely cannot put into words how much this Summer means to me. I never meant to find myself this Summer- but I did. It wasn't intentional, really. I never told myself, "okay, I'm going to finally find myself this Summer." In the past, I would do that, honestly. Whenever I was struggling mentally or emotionally and simply felt stressed out and exhausted, I would be like, okay this upcoming break, I'm going to really set aside some 'me time' for myself and find myself. It was, like, forced. But this Summer- I lived and let live. I started allowing myself to balance fun and hard work from the very beginning. My first day of freedom was spent at a concert with my best friends, carefree, thoughtless, and joy-filled. That truly set the tone for the Summer.

I decided to put happiness first instead of constantly putting purpose and meaning in everything I did. I realized that happiness is whatever you want it to be, and whatever you make it be. But don't be mistaken- I've worked hard this Summer. There have been some days where I have been grinding on back to back schedules- Cheer 8 to 10, babysitting 10:30 to 3:15, work 3:45 to 8:30. Some days have been so exhausting but I made it through 100% of them, and they made me feel so good, grown, and so confident in and proud of myself.

I've gone through things I never thought I would have to. There have been some really sad days- some really sad situations, some really bad feelings... But, through it all, I've remained my enthusiastic and energetic self, and I feel as though everything that has happened to me has made me a stronger woman overall. I am wiser, more thoughtful, more understanding, and overall- more caring and loving. Going through things makes you a better person. Bad situations build character.

I hope that the memories I made this summer last in my head for the rest of my life. I don't ever want to forget anything from this summer- the bad memories, and the beautiful ones, it doesn't matter. Everything that has happened has happened for a reason. Sometimes, I question that logic, but then a time in my life comes like this and I realize there is truth in the statement.

I have no regrets from these past couple of months. But don't be fooled, I have made mistakes. I've done stupid things that I should not have. I've made mistakes that I have spent multiple days crying about and regretting. But those days, tears, and cries have just made me stronger.

And look at me- I'm still alive. Nothing has actually been the end of the world. At the moment, it was, but I survived and I'm here to tell every other girl like me who thinks too much that nothing is as deep as it seems in the moment. Nothing is worth anxiety, fear, and worry.

When I think about this Summer, I feel those warm, fluttery, exciting feelings and vibes which have circulated through me all Summer.

I think of walking on the beloved Wildwood boardwalk late at night with my best friends, ice cream in my hand and the dark sky filled with stars above, the sound of the ocean wading in and out in the distance.

I think of the warm feelings I feel when I sit at the edge of the ocean, staring at the waves, reflecting on myself, my life, and how happy I am to have this one.

I think of the new and exciting practices for the cheerleading squad that I just made and am so happy and thankful to be a part of.

I think of my family members rushing in and out of the house to visit myself and my siblings, especially my two-month-old sister. Surprise visits from loved ones fill me with so much joy, just like hangouts and sleepovers with friends new and old.

I think of new friendships that I've formed, how much closer I've gotten with some people, and how much I have learned about so many people in my life.

Unexpected vacations with best friends, random day trips and hangouts and adventures with the people that I love.

A concert where I felt as light as air, sang and danced my heart out like nobody was listening or watching.

Getting closer to my incredible family, especially my mom, who I've realized is literally the best person in the entire world. I never realized how difficult it must be to raise somebody like me- I can't thank you enough for believing in me, trusting me, and allowing me to make my own decisions and be my own person.

When I reminisce about this summer, I think of how much better of a place I am than last year. I think of the anxieties that have melted away slowly but surely the past year.

I think of how happy I am to be alive. I think of how sad I am that some people I love aren't alive, or here with me to see what and who I'm becoming. and what my life is becoming.

I think of the toxic human beings that I have left in the past for good reason- I hope that they are doing well, and I thank myself every day for leaving them where old things must go- into the past.

This summer has really been a series of ups and downs that have led me to be the happiest person possible, someone, who fills the world with sunshine and has decided not to let anything get in her way on the road to accomplishing her dreams and becoming the best person possible.

The number one thing that I think about is how much happier I am than ever before. I am in such a good place right now. Things have happened to break down this new identity, but I never let them get close enough to break me. Tears, heartache, and feelings of loss have touched me, but I shake them off because that is just the new person that I am.

To everyone who has touched my life this Summer, even the ones who have hurt me, I am so grateful for you. Without you, I wouldn't be the same girl that I am today. My soul has grown so much, and so has my spirit.

To this Summer- I wouldn't change you in any way, shape, or form. Thank you so much for happening. You were perfect- in the most imperfect way possible. I'm so grateful for you.

To myself- I am so proud of who you have become. I am so glad you are who you are.

I feel so loved, purposeful, hopeful, excited, and a little bit nervous. I don't know what is going to happen next. All I know is that I cannot wait to see what my life turns into.