When You Think You Need More, Remember God Is Good

When You Think You Should Be Doing More, Remember These Two Things

Just love.

364

I will be the first in line to admit that I am victim to comparison about 95% of the time. I constantly catch myself looking at other girls on Instagram and envying their bodies, their boyfriends, or their lives. I see other people and constantly feel worse about myself, or use other people to make me feel better about myself. And even though I know it's not right to do, I still find myself constantly in this cycle of comparison. And comparison is not something that affects only the secular world, but comparison runs rampant within Christian circles.

Whether it is comparing how many notes you've made in your Bible, how many times a week you go to Church, or how aesthetically pleasing your quiet times look on Instagram, no one is free from comparison. However, recently I've had to check myself with two truths.

1. God does not run out of goodness

Comparison believes the lie that when something good happens to someone else, that person took something from you. Whether it's a job you want, a vacation you wish you could take, or a boyfriend you wish you had -- comparison tells the lie that someone has something that you should have gotten or wished you had gotten. However, that limits the goodness of God.

God is never going to run out of good things for His children and His desire to give us what we need and then some will never fade away.

Jealousy and comparison would have us believe that someone is better off than us, but truly we are all right where we need to be and God has good things in store that are ONLY for you. Never limit the goodness of the one who literally made you and breathes life into you.

2. Just love

Recently, I was at a time of worship where the Holy Spirit was very present and people were clearly being moved. As I prayed to the Lord, I prayed "Lord, where do you want me to go? And what big thing do I need to do for the Kingdom today?" And then in the tiniest whisper, I felt the words just love wash over me. Life is not about doing big, big things but instead, life is about the little things, and it is the little things that matter the most to people. Love people where they are, hold the door open for someone, smile at a stranger, and if the opportunity presents itself share the word of God with people.

The gospel is not words, it is actions.

It is little things that show people the Love of God that radically transforms lives. I constantly beat myself up and think about all the opportunities I daily miss to tell people about God, but sometimes all we need to do is show the Lord to someone. We need to just love.

It is so easy to get caught up in things of this world and compare ourselves in every way imaginable. But comparison always disappoints because there is always going to be someone better than you at something, and at the end of the day comparison is exhausting. Remember that God has enough goodness to give out enough to all of His children, and we are so blessed with what we do have and with what you have.

Just love. It's not easy, and some days are harder than others, but you are not alone. I'm out here struggling with you and together we can just love — love others, and love ourselves.