10 Things Your Adult Self Needs To Ditch The Second You Take Off Your Cap And Gown

Hint: It's time to toss the Burnett's.

363

Hey, future grads, adulting is coming your way, and you can't fight it. But, that's OK! It's awesome, not scary. To be honest, I love it! You get a sense of independence you've never had before. Make the best of growing up by kicking these college habits:

1. Going "All Night Longer"

Staying up all night is fun…when you're 21. Pulling an all-nighter when you're 23 is a grave mistake and will leave you hating yourself and life. Especially if you're working a 9-5. Drake said it right, "I only love my bed, and my momma, I'm sorry." Get your beauty sleep!

2. Binge drinking

Happy hour with your coworkers is not a drinking contest, and no one cares or wants to see how many shots you can take. Trying to keep up with your adolescent drinking habits is only going to harm you. Take it from me. The older you get, the longer the hangover lasts. Coffee and Redbull won't save you anymore!

3. 2 a.m. Cookout trips

Remember the Freshman 15? Yeah, welcome to the extra 9 to 5. Most of you will be working 40-50 hour weeks right after college. 95% of these hours you will be sitting at a desk, which means a slower metabolism. If you're not mindful of what and when you eat, you're bound to experience weight gain. Ditch the fast food!

4. Suffering FOMO

The fear of missing out is real. We've all had it. And, it sucks. Combining social anxiety with adulting is a bad mix. The idea that you're going to miss out on something great is a lie your mind tells you. If constantly scrolling through your IG feed and watching your friend's snap stories is causing you to stress put the f***ing phone down. Your happiness is worth more than a picture you missed taking.

5. Gossiping (STOP THE SUBTWEETS!)

We know you hate Becky, but it's time to grow up. Drama is not something you need after college. Talking sh*t isn't cool in your mid-twenties. (As if it ever was.) I can guarantee your future office space is going to be smaller than campus. So, if you participate in gossip, word is likely to spread, and you will be deemed as an office bitty. Life's not that serious. People make mistakes, play nice and don't waste your time on juvenile behavior.

6. Emotionally Spending

Adulting is hard-ish. Just like college, you're going to have some extreme moments of stress and sadness. Spending your hard-earned paycheck to make yourself feel better (i.e., late night online shopping,) is a bad idea that will only make you feel worse at the end of the month when you look at your bank statement. Replace your bad spending habits with something more beneficial like working out. It's a great stress reliever!

7. Spending your parent's money

I'll be the first to admit it. I rarely turn down my mom's offer to buy me groceries. But like staying up all night, I know it's bad for me. Relying on your parents financially when you're an adult stunts your growth and independence. It might sound scary to not borrow from them, but nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment you get when you can pay for your own bills. Plus, now and then mom and dad deserve a break. You should treat them!

8. Not applying for jobs

Imagine marrying the first person you went on a date with. Crazy right? Almost as crazy as settling on a career you don't love, just because it's your first and not a bad experience. If you want to be successful, make sure you place yourself in a job where there's room to grow. If not, keep browsing shop. It doesn't hurt to look!

9. Quitting to Learn

Learning shouldn't stop after you graduate. Think about it. You now have the freedom to learn whatever you want, at the pace you want to. Learn French, get certified in life coaching, teach yourself about finance. You're no longer being graded so you can't fail!

10. Being afraid

Growing up is FUN. I swear! Well...minus the paying bills part. Besides that, there is no reason to fear adulting. You get to be independent. You decide where you live, who you see, what you do, and how you spend your paycheck (if you get a job of course). So, worry not. The next chapter of your life is going to be awesome!

That's all for now. Good luck on your future journey of adulting! The world is your oyster!