5 Things To Think About When Going Into A Relationship

Relationships can be great when done properly.

24
Man and woman hugging

Relationships can be a great thing. It always feels nice to know that you have someone in your life that you feel is your other half. The feeling of being in a relationship is unique. There isn't exactly any other form of happiness that quite matches it. So when a relationship ends and you find yourself single for a while, going back to dating can be scary. There are some things that we need to remember in order to be able to be in a successful relationship.

Have a healthy relationship with yourself first.

If you don't have a strong relationship with yourself, a relationship with another person will almost never work out. We allow ourselves the love that we believe we deserve. If we go into a relationship thinking that we aren't worth much, we often times make it harder for the people in our lives to love us.

Your life is important.

You have a life outside of your relationship. When getting into a relationship, don't give up everything for your significant other. Don't neglect yourself, your other obligations or the other people in your life.

You don't NEED a relationship to be happy.

The most important part of every relationship is being in a relationship is understanding that your relationship isn't your life. You have more people that love you and care about you. Going into a relationship with your happiness being purely based on that relationship that you are in is going to make it a lot harder for you to be okay when things go wrong. Be happy with yourself.

Your relationship does not define your worth.

Whether or not you are in a relationship or not does not define you worth or who you are as a person. What your significant other thinks about you does not define who you are as a person. You are important and loved reguardless of your relationship status. Love yourself and who you are.

Don't take things too fast.

Take it slow. Don't kiss on the first date. Just because you are officially "in a relationship" doesn't mean you have to say I love you right away. Take your time and protect your heart. The faster and harder you fall into things, the more it hurts when you hit the ground.