Things to know before you go

Things to know before you go

40
Things to know before you go

You know what puts a big smile on my face…planning my next get away. From Cuba to Aruba, I am all for a little escape from life. My mind, my heart and my soul all open when I travel. It changes me for the better, and makes me appreciate even more what I have and what I can do. Travel has been my best teacher. I have been seeing some great pictures of destinations I have always wanted to go to on social media, and to be honest, that has been a big inspiration for me. Even if your next trip is not for a while, there is no time like the present to start planning. Here are some things to know before you go.

Passport/Visa - If you are travelling overseas, check your passport to make sure it has not expired and is valid for at least six months of your travel dates. If the expiration date is coming up, you will need to renew. All depending on where you are traveling to, find out about any necessary visas. If you are traveling soon and need to find out more, below are two websites I found on passports and visas.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/pass...

http://cibtvisas.com/visa-quick-check

Research – Do some research on where you are going. Here are a few quick checks. Check into the weather to know what to pack and wear. Find out about the cuisine and restaurants that have good write-ups so you can plan some great dining experiences. Read up on the culture to get a better understanding of where you will be, and learn more about where you are going. Find out about the transportation situation because not every place you visit has Uber. Whether you want to spend time on the beach or go sky diving, you can customize your itinerary and pick the places you want to explore and things that you want to do.

Money/Credit Cards – Call your credit card company to let them know where you will be traveling to and the dates of your travel. You want to enjoy and do not need any unnecessary delays with purchases you make while you are on vacation, or the headache of having your credit card declined. All depending on your destination, if you need to exchange currency, you can exchange your money before you go so you have cash on hand until you exchange at your location. It is also important to take enough cash with you.

Copy of Travel Documents – You can keep a copy downloaded on your smartphone, but just in case technology fails at the location you are traveling to, I always have a copy of my travel documents along with a copy of my passport that I keep separate just in case. You can also leave a copy with someone you know so they know your travel plans as well.

Ask for Recommendations – Ask around. Ask your friends or their friends who like to travel if they have been to where you are planning your next trip. Find out what they did and what they enjoyed the most. Get a list of their recommendations on museums to restaurants they went to and places that they would recommend to see.

Dream it, plan it! - Find that special someone or some travel buddies, make a budget and use your vacation time! If you are pressed for time or can’t decide on a destination, consult a professional who can work with you. They can advise you on travel insurance and other questions you might have, and you have a person to contact in case of any issues while on vacation, and can make it easy for you to help plan your amazing trip.

Get out of your comfort zone, explore and be adventurous. Plan your travel and then tell your story because I know it will be an amazing one! Safe travels my friends.

“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” Saint Augustine