10 Things To Do In Tallahassee, Because We're More Than Just A University

Can you check all these off your Tallahassee Bucket List?

283

When most people think of Tallahassee, Florida (if they even know where it is), they think of FSU football or the capitol building. When I think of the city, however, I think of my home.

I was born and raised in Tallahassee and, as a result, have gotten to know it very well. Although it is fairly small, I have found some really awesome places and things to do. These are places you can visit alone, with a significant other, with friends, or with family. No matter who you’re with, they’re guaranteed to give you a good view or a fun time.

1. Cascades Park

Whether you go to a concert, festival, or just a walk around, Cascades Park is always fun. There are playgrounds for kids, restaurants nearby, and beautiful scenery to enjoy by yourself, with friends, or with family.

2. First Friday at Railroad Square

Railroad Square is the hipster, artsy area of town, filled with shops and lots of art. The best time to visit is by far the first Friday of every month. Every First Friday, various artists, musicians, and food trucks draw in lots of people for a great time.

3. Food Truck Thursday at Lake Ella

Lake Ella is a local lake known for walking around, shops, and Food Truck Thursday. Similar to First Friday, Food Truck Thursday occurs every Thursday night and includes various food trucks, live music, and local shopping.

4. Miller's Landing

Only really known to locals, Miller’s Landing is a lookout over Lake Jackson, at the end of Miller’s Landing Road. It’s one of the best places to watch the sunset and have a picnic with friends.

5. The Capitol Building

It’s the reason why a lot of people come to Tallahassee. It’s the place of government work and school field trips. The Old Capitol and New Capitol are both beautiful buildings that are definitely worth visiting.

6. Gaines Street

Located right by Railroad Square, Gaines Street is a street that has been totally revamped in the past few years. Now, it is one of the best photo spots in Tallahassee, full of murals, trendy shops, and awesome food.

7. Wakulla Springs

Only a 45-minute drive away, Wakulla Springs is located in Crawfordville but is a popular spot for Tallahasseans to visit. It’s a really fun day trip with swimming, guided boat tours, exhibits, picnicking, and definitely an alligator or two.

8. Marianna Caverns

Another day trip you can do is go to Marianna Caverns. It’s about an hour and fifteen-minute drive, but is totally worth it. You can go hiking, have a picnic, and, of course, go spelunking in the awesome caverns.

9. Tallahassee Museum

There is so much to do at the Tallahassee Museum. You can go through the exhibits, see various wildlife such as panthers and bears, and even go zip-lining.

10. Florida State University

If you go to Tallahassee, you must at least visit FSU. Whether it is going to a football game, concert, or random events, there’s always something fun happening on campus.

Although Tallahassee is a smaller city, there’s always something going on. It’s just a matter of actively looking for new things to do.