Things to do Before You Graduate... Participate in Chicken Finger Wednesday

132

Now that we’ve passed the New Year’s Resolution frenzy of the year, it’s time to get real about our priorities, Carolina.

We have packed the group classes at Strom. We have clogged up all the treadmill machines and sweated on all the yoga mats and made fools of ourselves in the weight room. We have bought water bottles and work-out clothes to look the part, and we encourage our friends to go to the gym with us so we can talk (and gasp) about our days. We have annoyed the regular gym-goers because we made resolutions, dang it.

And that’s a good thing. It’s important for us to maintain a healthy body weight and stick to forming good habits throughout the year. Carolina is known for being an active campus, and we have a huge, beautiful gym, so why not make the most of it and be the best versions of ourselves while we are still so young? We have so many workout resources available to us, included in our tuition and fees, so being fit and healthy is a no-brainer.

However, we have to remember--we live in South Carolina. And with the south comes the inevitable, delicious, irresistible fried food tradition.

No one knows for sure when Chicken Finger Wednesday started, but the legend is well known around campus. When I was a freshman, I slowly but surely developed the weekly obsession with fried chicken, and never looked back.

So that’s why I am proclaiming to the world one more thing that all Carolina students need to do before they graduate- participate in Chicken Finger Wednesday.

I understand the importance of sticking to a healthy diet and all that, but we’re only college students once, and there’s nothing more important than displaying school spirit. Chicken Finger Wednesday is deeply intertwined with Carolina tradition, and forgoing that tradition is a southern sin. It’s only one day a week, so it’s easy to make Wednesday your “cheat day” and indulge in the fried goodness. You can eat Greek or Italian food any other day.

So before you graduate, head over to the Russell House Grand Market Place and fill a plate with chicken fingers. And you know what? Do it again the next week. And the next. Because never again in your life will you have warm, crispy chicken freshly prepared just for you every Wednesday.