5 Things Libraries Have You May Not Know About

It's a building of more than just old books.

32
https://unsplash.com/photos/YLSwjSy7stw

Many people associate libraries with old buildings, grumpy librarians, and lots of boring books. Such concepts make many ignore their local libraries and many don't visit them at all. This causes people to miss out and be unaware of many resources and opportunities that are useable and available at the library. Libraries are, unknown to most, actually much more than just a building full of old books and shushing librarians. Libraries can be a huge part of the community and give people access to so many activities, programs, and opportunities. Some things that are offered that many may not know about are the following.

1. Huge range of books.

Many believe that libraries only have old books that are years old and barely used. While libraries may have some older books, they also have new releases for books, movies, and magazines, Of course, the timing on the new items may be influenced by the library and the funding they receive, but it is very possible for your local library to have all different products and entertainment at your disposal for free or a low price.

2. Free events for all.

From story time for young children, yoga classes, movie nights, and seminars and info events on Medicare, libraries have an endless amount of events that go on. They can even range in frequency to activities that go on once a week to those that happen every once and a while.

3. Tutoring.

Many libraries have tutoring programs that range for students struggling in a subject in school, to those that are newly learning English as a second language. More tutors even come in from the outside and use the library as a meeting spot, due to their resources at their fingertips and the great environment to study and tutor in.

4. Free museum passes.

And I don't mean to only the little, unknown museums, which can still be great by the way. Libraries can offer free museum passes to some of the most popular museums and parks in the area that usually require an entrance fee. Better yet, they can get multiple people in so a whole family can usually go see the museum for free.

5. E-books and E-Audio books.

Besides that traditional paper filled books that many use that fill the libraries, They also have online e-books and e- audio books that are free for the public, all you need is a library card. Being online gives you the opportunity to download an app on your phone and take your reading or listening material wherever you go, as they can be downloaded with wifi.

Go visit your local library!