10 Things That Inevitably Happen At Your Summer College Job

Dealing with "can I speak to the manager" situations together truly does create a one-of-a-kind bond.

63
Sara Ursum

The 3 month gap in between semesters is one that's typically filled with working. But if you surround yourself with fellow college kids who are all in the same boat, you might just end up having the best summer of you life. Who says that work has to feel like work, anyways?

Inside jokes are always created.

And 98% of these jokes are somehow traced back to making fun of the managers.

Two people always start dating.

It usually only happens because all of the other workers are instigating it, but two people are bound to go out at least one time. Even if it is just to get the rest of us to shut up for the rest of the summer.

Pranks are always pulled.

You're never safe. Someone could pop out and scare you at any time, an ice cube could always find it's way down your shirt, and you could always come back to your car handles covered in mayonnaise. But no prank goes without revenge...

You insist on hanging out with each other outside of work.

As if seeing each other for 40 hours a week wasn't enough, staff dinners, game nights, and parties are always planned. Besides, it is more fun seeing your coworkers out of uniform.

Someone always has to volunteer their lunch break to go get Taco Bell for the whole staff.

If it's slow, Taco Bell truly might be the only thing that will help us survive a full day. Someone truly has to take one for the team.

You come in on your days off to bring food.

In the event that someone can't make a fast food run for lunch, you have to be the one to bring in the food or slushies. It's not so bad, after all, you do get to see your friends on a day you weren't necessarily supposed to.

Your phone constantly has notifications thanks to the group Snapchat.

Set your phone down for 30 minutes and you'll be welcomed back with 100+ notifications that were sent while we were all supposed to be working.

You swear you won't come back next year, but you always do.

When it's hot and busy, you swear that this will be your last summer at this job. But next May you find yourself putting on that same uniform... again.

You recruit literally everyone that you know to work there with you.

You love going to your job every morning and the only thing that could make it better would be spending it with even more of your friends. If they haven't heard "you should totally apply to work with me" at least 30 times by the end of the summer, are they even really your friends?

You meet your new best friends.

The people who started off as complete strangers in May end up being some of your closest pals by the end of August. Dealing with "can I speak to the manager" situations together truly does create a one-of-a-kind bond.