8 Things You Can Relate To If You're The Younger Sibling

If you're a younger sibling then you can relate 100%.

559
Caroline Cook

Being a younger sibling definitely has its ups and downs. If you're the youngest I'm sure you can relate to at least one of these.

1. You are treated with "second child syndrome."

Sure you still have it somewhat hard but not near as hard as your other sibling. If you come in past "curfew," not a big deal. The rules are always bent a little when it comes to being the younger sibling. Not that your parents don't care... they just realized they cared a little too much the first go round.

2. You always get hand-me-downs even if you don't want them.

When your sibling gets a new car, you get their old one. When your sibling grows out of their clothes, you get to wear them now. Same goes for shoes, school supplies, toys (when you're younger), and even accessories.

3. You are always compared to your older sibling.

As a younger sibling it is inevitable that you will be asked "so are you going to follow *your older siblings* footsteps?" You are constantly compared to grades, attitude, and personalities. No, it's not that big of a deal, but yes sometimes it does get annoying. People always ask "do you like to do so and so like your sibling" or "I bet you're making those awesome grades like your sibling." We are from the same bloodline but we also have very different lives people.

4. You will always be known as "so and so's younger sibling."

This one definitely hits hard once you get to high school. All the teachers and older kids will know you as your siblings "younger sister/brother." And you better get used to it because that's what you will be referred to for a long time.

5. You have to share literally everything.

This is something you are taught from day one. When you're the youngest you have to get used to sharing with your older sibling. It starts with toys... you think you own that cute little blonde Barbie, but once your older sibling gets her hands on it, it's both of y'all's now. It later moves on to clothes where you are fighting over the shirt that your sibling claims are theirs but you know your mom bought it specifically for you. I'm all for sharing but when it comes to sharing with an older sibling... it's not always a walk in the park.

6. There is rarely any baby pictures that do not include your sibling.

Your sibling can have numerous amounts of baby books full of just pictures of him/her. But when your baby book gets opened up, it seems to be you AND your older sibling in every one of the pictures.

7. You are always the last to know family drama.

If there is any new news that's happened within the family whether its good or bad, you are always the very last to know. For some reason, they never think to come to you first. You find things out through your other family members casual conversations and when you express that you were unaware of this information they say "wait seriously you haven't heard about this yet." NO. NO ONE FEELS THE NEED TO TELL ME.

8. But despite all of the annoying things your siblings put you through... you missed them like crazy once they moved out.

You're not quite sure why, but when your older sibling moved out you were devastated. They can be annoying and mean sometimes but the truth is they're your built-in best friend. They're your person. You love them despite all of their older sibling privileges.